Garrett Wade Push Drill

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Garrett Wade Push Drill

Post by algale »

I recently had to drill some holes in some very tight spaces where a drill with a large chuck would not fit. Neither the Shopsmith nor my handheld Ryobi nor even an old egg-beater could get where I needed to go.

Enter the Garrett Wade Yankee Push Drill. I gather this is a re-issue of a tool that Stanley made for decades. Comes with 8 double flute bits that fit in the handle. The 8 bits are from 1/16th to 11/64th in 1/64th increments. Obviously this is for drilling small pilots holes. Works like a
charm. Seems very well made.

A couple of pics are attached.
8A3CD811-660B-4A1C-A771-44F2EBE95587.jpeg
8A3CD811-660B-4A1C-A771-44F2EBE95587.jpeg (97.31 KiB) Viewed 16830 times
16DA15A7-2853-46BC-8533-2ABFB5166B14.jpeg
16DA15A7-2853-46BC-8533-2ABFB5166B14.jpeg (90.56 KiB) Viewed 16830 times
04AEB186-FE96-46FD-A68C-D7770286A824.jpeg
04AEB186-FE96-46FD-A68C-D7770286A824.jpeg (87.96 KiB) Viewed 16830 times
B0B99ED6-D94A-4489-B55E-052CEA90B861.jpeg
B0B99ED6-D94A-4489-B55E-052CEA90B861.jpeg (104.56 KiB) Viewed 16830 times
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

garys
Platinum Member

Re: Garrett Wade Push Drill

Post by garys »

I have a similar design push drill in my toolbox for about 40 years. If I remember correctly, mine is a Sears Craftsman one. It doesn't get used often, but when I need it, I appreciate it. Like you said. It drills holes in tight quarters better than anything else I have.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I have(had?) one made by miller falls(sp?). Have not had my hands on it recently.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

garys wrote:I have a similar design push drill in my toolbox for about 40 years. If I remember correctly, mine is a Sears Craftsman one. It doesn't get used often, but when I need it, I appreciate it. Like you said. It drills holes in tight quarters better than anything else I have.
Me too.

But the first thing I often go for is my small awl that I've ground to a sharp edge, like a sharp screwdriver. Push in and twist. Very accurate placement for pilot holes for small screws.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I have two or three of the push drills and some of the Yankee screw drivers. :)
pushdrills.jpg.jpg
pushdrills.jpg.jpg (263.9 KiB) Viewed 16373 times
davebodner wrote:
garys wrote:I have a similar design push drill in my toolbox for about 40 years. If I remember correctly, mine is a Sears Craftsman one. It doesn't get used often, but when I need it, I appreciate it. Like you said. It drills holes in tight quarters better than anything else I have.
Me too.

But the first thing I often go for is my small awl that I've ground to a sharp edge, like a sharp screwdriver. Push in and twist. Very accurate placement for pilot holes for small screws.
Sounds similar to a square or birdcage awl.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCC-95EJvGk[/youtube]
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

rpd wrote:I have two or three of the push drills and some of the Yankee screw drivers. :)

pushdrills.jpg.jpg
davebodner wrote:
Me too.

I very interesting and informative discussion about square awls. I'll have to locate mine and use it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
rpd wrote:I have two or three of the push drills and some of the Yankee screw drivers. :)

pushdrills.jpg.jpg
davebodner wrote: Me too.

I very interesting and informative discussion about square awls. I'll have to locate mine and use it.
I am gonna make one!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

dusty wrote:Sounds similar to a square or birdcage awl.
Same function, different mechanics. Paul Sellers' awl uses the square edges of the shaft to cut the wood fibers. Mine uses the knife-edge of the tip to cut the fibers. Roy Underhill taught to introduce the awl I use into the wood cross-grain first, so the fibers would be cut rather than be pushed aside.

I make no claim as to which one works better; however, that Paul Sellers demonstration does seem pretty slick.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

davebodner wrote:
dusty wrote:Sounds similar to a square or birdcage awl.
Same function, different mechanics. Paul Sellers' awl uses the square edges of the shaft to cut the wood fibers. Mine uses the knife-edge of the tip to cut the fibers. Roy Underhill taught to introduce the awl I use into the wood cross-grain first, so the fibers would be cut rather than be pushed aside.

I make no claim as to which one works better; however, that Paul Sellers demonstration does seem pretty slick.
Okay, equal time for the Chisel Point Brad Awl, https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/to ... t-brad-awl

The write ups says they are better for softwoods, and the square for hardwoods. :) https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/to ... -hardwoods
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

There are a lot of push drills available new. If you have the adapter to hold hex shank bits in your screwdriver, you can use hex-shank drill bits.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... push+drill
https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/to ... rewdrivers
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory