Have to decide between Model 500 and 510

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

donpol
Gold Member

Have to decide between Model 500 and 510

Post by donpol »

For years I've owned a 1955 Mark V with the 500 tables, and a 1950 10er. Been happy with both machines; they've had all new bearings in the past few years, and run well.

I recently acquired a Mark V with the 510 tables. No date on it, but probably late 1980's era judging by the dates on the SPT's. Very good condition.

If I had the space, I would keep all three machines; but I only have room for two. I'm thinking of getting rid of the 10er or the old MKV. Or, keep what I have and get rid of the newer one. Are the 510 tables that much better? The old MKV is a solid machine, I'm guessing heavier than the newer one. I should also mention that I have a separate Delta table saw that I do most of my sawing on. The Shopsmith has served as a secondary saw if the Delta is setup for something.

Any advice is appreciated.
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Have to decide between Model 500 and 510

Post by garys »

I would keep the 510. The larger tables and the ability to extend them makes it the only choice. With the 510 and extension tubes, it is easy to break down 4x8' sheets of plywood. That is a very challenging task with the 500 setup.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I question that the older Mark 5* is 'heavier', but fer sure the 510 tables are heavier than the Mark 5 tables. Only an issue if they are removed frequently.

The Mark 5 is 'passe' as far as future developments are concerned. Only through historical support does SS still create 'new things' for the older model.

I do see the Mark 5 as being essentially the same as The 510 when table sawing is secondary.

You haven't said which 510 version you acquired.

Now about the motor HP. Not a trivial detail, but again if table sawing is secondary...

Neither is the saw blade size...

Now about the 10ER. It is a better lathe. It is a good drill press. It IS heavier.

If I HAD to let one go, I would let the Mark 5 go assuming equal marketing potential between the three choices. Not a killer either way.

* You DID say 1955.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

If you've been satisfied with the 500, I'd keep it and sell the 510. Wait for a 520, which has a more robust fence whether you are sawing, drilling or disc sanding. Then sell the 500.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

If you want to know how old the Mark V 510 is we can help. Post a picture of the serial number plate on the belt cover. The Mark V 510 and 505 were introduced in 1985. If your Mark V 510 was made prior to that it was upgraded.

Lets compare what you have between the 1955 Mark 5 and the newer (date unknown) Mark V 510. There have been many changes to the Shopsmith Mark 5/V over the years. Below is a list of those changes.
Mark 5-V changes.pdf
(88.18 KiB) Downloaded 1273 times
The most notable changes between the two you have is going from the 3/4 HP motor to the 1-1/8 HP motor and the change from the Gilmer Drive to the Poly "V" Drive. These are two major changes to the basic unit to consider. Remember at the time of it's introduction the difference between a Mark V 510 and the original Mark V was the table system including the carriage. The bench and headstock were the same. Your 1955 Mark 5 has either the "A" or "B" headstock depending on when in 1955 it was made. The change occurred in October. The Mark V 510 has the "B" headstock unless it was made in 1991 or later. All Mark 5 and Mark V Shopsmiths are up-gradable. It only depends on how much of an upgrade you want and are willing to spend. You can even turn your 1955 Mark 5 into a Mark 7 but it would likely be cheaper to buy a new Mark 7. Another consideration is that with the Mark V 500 being discontinued the original table system parts are no longer being made by Shopsmith so replacement parts must be found used if they are no longer in remaining stock at Shopsmith. Finally is there an attachment to the 1955 Mark 5 to consider?

As JPG said
Now about the 10ER. It is a better lathe. It is a good drill press. It IS heavier.
That is a good reason to keep the 10ER especially if it has a speed changer which gives you a lower speed than the Mark 5. 450 RPM compared to 700 RPM. That is a plus for both Lathe work and Drilling. Although you can buy a Speed Reducer for the Mark V which will go as low as 100 RPM's.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
donpol
Gold Member

Post by donpol »

Thanks for the responses.

I should mention, in addition to the Shopsmiths, I have a 15" floor drill press, a 14" Delta bandsaw, and a 16" homemade Woodgears bandsaw. I bought the Shopsmiths before I purchased/made these other tools. At the time the Shopsmiths were used for bandsawing and drilling as primary units. Now, they serve a secondary function as a table saw and drill press, and they run the SPT's.

SPT's I have include the bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, strip sander, and jointer; although I have a 6" floor model jointer I always use.

A couple other things:
I won't be breaking down full sheets of plywood on the MKV or my Delta TS; I use a skilsaw with a guide to rough cut, then cut to finished size with a crosscut sled.

JPG, I did say my old MKV is a 1955 model, according to the serial number.
I'm not sure what you mean by which version of the 510 I have. I didn't know there were variations of the 510.

Chapmanruss: The plate on the side where the serial number typically is does not have any serial number listed.
Also, my 10er does not have a speed changer.
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

I faced a similar decision when I purchased a table saw a little over a month ago. My wife and I talked about getting rid of the 510 or the 500 her dad had left me. In the end, her decision, she said if I could fit the new table saw into the shop I could keep both Shopsmiths. I am cramped, but I didn't have to make a decision I didn't want to make. I know how hard the decision is and wish you well, whichever way you decide.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

donpol wrote:
Chapmanruss: The plate on the side where the serial number typically is does not have any serial number listed.
Also, my 10er does not have a speed changer.
in 1988 they changed from a serial number on the vent plate to a date code on a sticker. so your 510 would be 1988 or newer.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Shortly after the 510 was introduced small changes were made to the table and rails. The obvious visible difference was the elimination of the holes in the front edge of the table rails. Also the method of mounting the rails was changed.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange