Possible Solution to RPS 0 error

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

lpollett
Silver Member

Possible Solution to RPS 0 error

Post by lpollett »

After dealing with my rps 0 this past week, I learned a lot, and have a possible solution for everyone dealing this this issue.

As you know, there are optical sensors on a small circuit board under the fan on the rear of the motor. As dust accumulates on these sensors, it finally gets thick enough to block the light and cause the motor to not start, and display the dreaded 0 error.

To get back up and running is a simple matter. Just remove the motor from the head stock, then remove the black cover on the rear of the motor. (3 Screws) Then remove the spring clip that keep the fan on the shaft. i used a "pulley puller" to pull the fan blade up enough to remove the optical sensor circuit board. (Easier said than done.)

Then it is a simple matter to clean the sensors and reinstall everything. However, as everyone knows, this is a time consuming process.

Today I spoke with a friend who knows about these DVR motors. He and his company deal with a supplier which makes a special cloth like filter designed to surround DVR motors and which is held onto the motor with a rubber band. He was surprised that I had gone 4 years without encountering this error. He thought the filter goes down to 6 microns.

If there is enough interest in this, I would be happy to get more details from my friend so that anyone who wants this filter would be able to get it. I personally am going to get one of these filters, and the next time I have to remove the motor, I'm going to install it.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks to all the posts that I found, that enabled me to get my own machine up and running again. You all are the best.
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Possible Solution to RPS 0 error

Post by reible »

One question I have ask others who have seen this error is if they run dust collection when using their machines. So far I have not seen the error and while it could just be around the corner and happen tomorrow I have also exceeded the four years you mentioned.

So if you could be so kind, do you use dust collection with your shopsmith?

I would be interested in the filters, any information like this would be good to know so if and when I have a failure I too could add the filter.

I haven't kept up with this subject but I know the teknatool nova lathe had been a source of information on this. I have to wonder if they now have added this filter. If I get some spare time I'll see what I can find out.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
lpollett
Silver Member

Post by lpollett »

Good question about dust collection.

Yes, I use dust collection. In fact, because much of what I do, requires me to go between table saw, jointer and planer (on its own power stand), I have a system with blast gates at each tool. The blast gates are wired with micro switches that turn on the dust collector when that particular blast gate is opened.

I also run my jet air filtration system when I am sawing and creating dust.

I'll try to add a couple of pictures, so you get the idea. (I guess I can't figure out how to do that. Thanks for your help. I got it.)

I will continue to follow up with my friend about the DVR motor filters.

Thanks

Lyle
Attachments
shop-11.jpg
shop-11.jpg (338.71 KiB) Viewed 9333 times
Shop 22.jpg
Shop 22.jpg (272.6 KiB) Viewed 9333 times
Last edited by lpollett on Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

lpollett wrote:Good question about dust collection.

Yes, I use dust collection. In fact, because much of what I do, requires me to go between table saw, jointer and planer (on its own power stand), I have a system with blast gates at each tool. The blast gates are wired with micro switches that turn on the dust collector when that particular blast gate is opened.

I also run my jet air filtration system when I am sawing and creating dust.

I'll try to add a couple of pictures, so you get the idea. (I guess I can't figure out how to do that.)

I will continue to follow up with my friend about the DVR motor filters.

Thanks

Lyle
This thread should help with posting pictures. https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/comm ... 19246.html
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
lpollett
Silver Member

Post by lpollett »

Thank You.
c2h6o
Gold Member

Post by c2h6o »

Did you ever get enough interest in this to post information on the filter you referenced? I have encountered the same issues, and solved it the same way your presented. It just seems that the MARK VII is much more sensitive to sawdust build-up to almost anything else I have used. I also find it amazing that SS TS is not well informed on this issue or how to resolve it.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Current model is a Mark 7, NOT a Mark VII(1960s version).

TS not competent - not very newsworthy. Unfortunate state of affairs since decades of experience retired.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange