Using a Shop Smith Mark V on a Chris Craft Roamer refit

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

roamer46
Platinum Member

Re: Using a Shop Smith Mark V on a Chris Craft Roamer refit

Post by roamer46 »

From the V-berth, next I jumped into the aft deck and started making mahogany dust. Lots of it.

The Boatamalan painter lost two of three big pieces of original mahogany that span the top of the helm windshield. It would have been practically impossible to make new wood match the old one, so I made all three panels from the boards I had resawn recently. I also made some corner pieces for the aft deck that I'll use to join four plywood panels.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Helm Station Mahogany

Cheers,
Q

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

As long as I'm working with solid mahogany in the aft deck and helm area, I figured I might as well get the panel work done, too. It's turning out really nice.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Aft Deck Mahogany Panels

Cheers,
Q

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

I've been ripping through the resawn mahogany boards recently. Turned another couple of rough cut boards into pretty stuff.

"progress"

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Helm Station Mahogany II

Cheers,
Q

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Next I fitted the 3mm mahogany plywood to the helm bulkhead. I'm using plywood instead of veneer because it's a lot easier to work with and it's half the price of veneer.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Helm Station Mahogany II

Cheers,
Q

Way back in the beginning

Last weekend
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

I spent a tedious day recently pulling wire and cable from the V-berth and salon power panel all the way up to the aft deck hardtop ceiling. I have to get the wiring all done before we can install the headliner. Fortunately, this part of the job is done. Hopefully, I'll never have to do that again.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Aft Deck Wiring

Cheers,
Q

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

As part of the prep for installing the aft deck headliner, I've got to get everything installed in the ceiling overhead. The wiring is pretty much done, so my next project was to make a mahogany box for the radios and fuel gauge. I ended up using the leftover mahogany boards from the resawn fascia boards I made in the aft stateroom. I have to say, it looked a bit rough on the dusty, oxidized side that was exposed to air without varnish for a decade. But once it's glued up, sanded, and varnished that's some pretty wood.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Helm Station Radio Box

Cheers,
Q

Before

After
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

The helm station radio box is looking good. So next I jumped on the One-Mile Ray searchlight install. The light sure looks nice rechromed and assembled. But I found a surprise in the hardtop ceiling when I went to install it.

That seems to be a pattern with this refit...

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: One-Mile Ray Searchlight
Cheers,
Q

The good part

The bad part
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

As part of the prep work for getting the headliner installed on the aft deck, I had to install the radio antennas. I installed the AM/FM antenna on the port side hand rail and the marine band/cell booster on the starboard side. Running the coax cables through the stainless tubing made for a nice, clean look. The rechromed handrail ends look great.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing the Antennas

Cheers,
Q

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Very clever, Q! :cool:
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Thanks!

I had some trouble when I went to install the searchlight, which was original to the boat. The mahogany mounting blocks were also original. But somehow, the blocks ended up being ~1/2" too thick. I had to use a router upside-down to remove the excess mahogany from the underside of the mounting blocks. It was an ugly job, but I think it'll work fine. Once the headliner is installed, nobody will ever see it.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: One-Mile Ray Searchlight Install II

Cheers,
Q