Two Bearing Quill

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Two Bearing Quill

Post by JPG »

lalkie wrote:I have an older mark 5 and took apart the quill after I replaced it with a two bearing quill. the older quill has a roller bearing on the shaft about 3/4 inch long with a sleeve that fits over the bearing and slips inside the sleeve. Is this an older two bearing quill. the two bearing quill I purchased had two roller bearings as pictured here. I wasn't sure but it did not appear as if anyone mentioned this quill. Larry
???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
docvox
Silver Member

Post by docvox »

I have the same problem. I have a two-bearing / 1 piece spindle. I removed the inner (lower) bearing but when trying to press off the outer (upper) bearing over the splines, discovered that the inner diameter of the inner race is smaller than the outer diameter of the splines. That MUST be a collar between the two bearings, but I can find no parts diagram recognizing it. The only way I can see removing it is by heating it red-hot, which would likely damage the new bearing when pressed back on. I have contacted SHOPSMITH, been referred to their engineering department, sent an email with pictures, but received no response, The attempts to press it off damaged the splines. Are this spindle and the collar still available?
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

docvox wrote:I have the same problem. I have a two-bearing / 1 piece spindle. I removed the inner (lower) bearing but when trying to press off the outer (upper) bearing over the splines, discovered that the inner diameter of the inner race is smaller than the outer diameter of the splines. That MUST be a collar between the two bearings, but I can find no parts diagram recognizing it. The only way I can see removing it is by heating it red-hot, which would likely damage the new bearing when pressed back on. I have contacted SHOPSMITH, been referred to their engineering department, sent an email with pictures, but received no response, The attempts to press it off damaged the splines. Are this spindle and the collar still available?

Can you post a photo of the quill?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IIRC there was a version that was two pieces that had a rear bearing inner race diameter that was force fitted into a smaller bore in the attached piece. The bearing is not removable without first separating the two pieces.

IMHO an undesirable design.

I fear thee has no alternative other than to replace the entire quill. :mad:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

Does it look like this?