Old Mark VII Motor Capacitor Question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

luggw1
Bronze Member

Old Mark VII Motor Capacitor Question

Post by luggw1 »

I have a 1964 vintage Shopsmith Mark VII and have a question about the motor capacitor. Without the drive belt attached, the motor starts and runs fine. The beast has set for probably 10-15 years without being run so the belts in it are most likely set in the position it was left in. With the old belts installed it would sometimes fail to start, just humming instead. Troubleshooting leads me to believe much of the problem is the belts, which I'm in the process of acquiring new, but my Dad, who purchased the tool, thinks the capacitor may be troublesome.

Any thoughts from the group? If so, I don't have the parts list in front of me so don't know if the cap is specified in it - does anyone know the rating of the cap for replacement? I also don't know if it's an AO Smith or a GE motor at this point.

Thanks
Bill Lugg
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Old Mark VII Motor Capacitor Question

Post by chapmanruss »

Since the motor starts and runs fine without the belts I suspect the problem is elsewhere. It must be long overdue for some maintenance. I do not have an old Mark VII myself but other than the difference in the speed changer it should have the same lubrication requirements as the Mark V for the motor and idler shaft pulley sheaves. If the sheaves on those pulleys are not moving open and closed it could cause the belt to get stuck not allowing the motor to start. Hopefully someone with a Mark VII will jump in here with more help.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I doubt the start capacitor is the culprit.

Now the start switch and the power/direction switch are another matter.

Belt dressing will help soften the set in the belt.

The start circuit depends totally upon the switches.

I agree with most of what Chapmanruss said.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

when I got my mark VII the motor didn't start. It would definately "buzz", not "hum".
Turned out to be the start relay.
Good luck.
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Have you tested the capacitor ? youtube has videos on how to test them ,it can save you a lot of time and money , harbor freight sells a capacitor tester for less than 10 bks . jmo
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
luggw1
Bronze Member

Post by luggw1 »

lahola1 wrote:when I got my mark VII the motor didn't start. It would definately "buzz", not "hum".
Good luck.
Is there a source for a replacement relay? A local motor shop told us the relay on our motor is in fact bad.

Thanks
Bill Lugg
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

luggw1 wrote:
lahola1 wrote:when I got my mark VII the motor didn't start. It would definately "buzz", not "hum".
Good luck.
Is there a source for a replacement relay? A local motor shop told us the relay on our motor is in fact bad.

Thanks
Bill Lugg
https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 52#p257652
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange