Old Mark VII Parts Question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

luggw1
Bronze Member

Old Mark VII Parts Question

Post by luggw1 »

I have a Shopsmith Mark VII purchased in 1964 that needs new belts. Can anyone tell me if the belts for the Mark V head will fit the old Mark VII head as well? If not is there a source for these belts? I'd hate to see this beast go to Shopsmith heaven because of such a simple problem.

Thanks
Bill Lugg
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Old Mark VII Parts Question

Post by JPG »

Although the Mark 5/V poly-v belt is narrower than the original Mark VII poly-v belt, it WILL work. Bandsaw Tire Warehouse has a belt made to Mark VII specs(wider) available on E-bay.

The motor belt is NOT the same as a Mark V/5 motor belt. However it is a 1/2" standard v-belt which I believe to be 30 1/2" long. I recommend a 'cogged' automotive belt. Since belts today are typically slightly narrower than the original belt the speed range is moved slightly upward.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

I ended up using a 30" belt as 1/2 sizes are VERY hard to find.
luggw1
Bronze Member

Post by luggw1 »

cham-ed wrote:I ended up using a 30" belt as 1/2 sizes are VERY hard to find.
Does the shorter belt change the speeds at all or is it just the belt width that affects it?

Thanks,
Bill Lugg
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

luggw1 wrote:
cham-ed wrote:I ended up using a 30" belt as 1/2 sizes are VERY hard to find.
Does the shorter belt change the speeds at all or is it just the belt width that affects it?

Thanks,
Bill Lugg
Yes it will move the speed range downward(the belt ends up further into the motor pulley for a given control sheave setting(speed dial)),

A narrow belt does the opposite. It rides further into the idler puller AND also rides further OUT on the motor pulley.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
luggw1
Bronze Member

Post by luggw1 »

Thanks for all the helpful info. I've purchased the appropriate belts. Now, I notice the Mark V belt comes with instructions for replacement if you buy it from Shopsmith. I know it's not a Mark VII head, but the assembly might be similar. Does anyone have a copy of those instructions they'd be willing to share digitally to help me figure out how to get that top belt replaced?

Thanks.
Bill Lugg
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

This is a link to Mark V service bulletins

http://allinonewood.com/?page=shop/serv ... 96f5erm4p5
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Here is a link to the Mark V belt replacement instructions from here on the Shopsmith website.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/pro ... cement.pdf
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.