Table insert issue

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Duckman
Gold Member

Table insert issue

Post by Duckman »

I just got a used 510 table system. I am adjusting it and squaring it up per the 510 manual. I cannot get the table saw insert to lie flush. I am following the manual, but cannot adjust the retention screws so it lies flush. The red insert being slightly higher than the table surface. No signs of damage and it is clean. I did this on my 500 without a problem. Suggestions? Duckman
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Table insert issue

Post by garys »

The Shopsmith inserts should fit the Shopsmith table perfectly. Mine does. Make sure you don't have built up sawdust under the insert. If it is clean and still doesn't fit, then do whatever you need to do to make it fit. If it is really too big, make it smaller.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Where is it higher? The insert is not designed to lay flat but rather have arc to it so that the two ends are higher then the middle until you tighten the screws. This looks a bit odd so it is possible that someone thought they needed to "fix" and bent it the wrong way?? (That would be high in the middle.)

A picture might also be helpful so we can see the situation.

Also do you have any other inserts you cut try out and see if they are fitting the same way or differently?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Duckman
Gold Member

Post by Duckman »

I will check for to the bow in the insert. Although I cannot imagien how anyone could flatten it without cracking it. The slot is clean, but I did not check the screw holes. Perhaps some compacted sawdust is in there that is preventing the screws from exerting the needed force to flatten the insert. DUCKMAN
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Yes, you must do what is necessary to make it fit but that should not be a serious task. As has been said, there is an intention bow in the insert (the ends being higher than the middle. I would think you could see that bow if you simply laid the insert on a flat surface.

Without the inserts, run the bolts down into the table and back out. This should clear the threads as well as the hole.

You said something about cracking it. The intended bow is very slight. Securing it is not going to crack the insert.

Crack the insert, hmmm. Do you have plastic or metal inserts?

Not the best picture but I hope this shows how small the bow actually is. Two metal inserts face to face.
20190910_122226.jpg
20190910_122226.jpg (612.28 KiB) Viewed 15583 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Duckman
Gold Member

Post by Duckman »

Thanks all.
I understand the bowing of the insert. It was readily apparent when I 1st set up my 500 a couple of years ago. It worked perfect on my 500.
I was surprised that tightening the screw did not draw the insert dow flush with the table on my 510. The insert was fiscernibly higher than the table surface.
The cracking comment was supposed to be humorous. The idea being if previous owner pressed and stressed the insert enough to take the bow out of it and flatten it, then it might develop a stress fracture.
I am busy with work & etc for several days. I will digest the comments and suggestions and reengage the machine later in the week. Again thank you, Duckman.
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

I have one that doesn't sit flush because I lost my train of thought and let it come down on the saw blade and it bowed it in the center. I had just cleaned my carriage assembly and didn't have a firm grasp on the wheel. It's amazing how quick the table can come down after a good waxing and polishing and a lousy grip.
Duckman
Gold Member

Post by Duckman »

I think I will need to order a new insert. The insert is bowed on one side but flat on the other. When sitting in the recess the right edge is sligtly above the surface. The left side is flush. I suspect it was defective from start or suffered some trauma by previous owner. Probably the later. Duckman
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Duckman wrote:I think I will need to order a new insert. The insert is bowed on one side but flat on the other. When sitting in the recess the right edge is sligtly above the surface. The left side is flush. I suspect it was defective from start or suffered some trauma by previous owner. Probably the later. Duckman
I be suspicious of the counter sink holes being too deep or the contact pads distorted..
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Duckman
Gold Member

Post by Duckman »

The table itself looks fine. Also it does not bow like the pics posted by Dusty. Pretty sure it is the insert plate. Hate to drop $30 on a new one. Hopefully SS has some in stock. Duckman