500 table insert miter guage

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

vrodbrad
Gold Member

500 table insert miter guage

Post by vrodbrad »

Okay ? My miter gauge on the table is real hard to slide in the slot. I have made sure the slots are cleaned and even used the Johnson paste wax. It then slides smoothly a couple passes then starts to act like above. Wondering what would cause the almost binding and making it har to slide. Any thoughts or if another thread to help me
br549
Platinum Member

Re: 500 table insert miter guage

Post by br549 »

Is the set screw (#279 in attached Parts Diagram) that can be used to expand the bar and lock the miter gauge in the miter slot perhaps partially tightened? Or is the miter gauge bar perhaps bent?
There are also nylon glides on the underside of the miter gauge body that may need replacing or just "adjusted" so that they function better. Here is a thread that discusses the two different types of glides: https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... ge#p254515
Attachments
miter gauge.jpg
miter gauge.jpg (71.65 KiB) Viewed 13878 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

With the information above, loosen the expansion set screw in the middle of the bar or remove it completely. Set the glides so they just barely lift the Miter's protractor off the table surface. Your Miter should slide easily in the slots. It is unlikely your Miter bar is bent but if it is you will have to replace it. It is part number 518104 Miter Gauge Bar. Remember when adjusting the older style glides, as shown in the link of my earlier post, they adjust from the top and it is the same hole that the set screw goes into for attaching a Miter Gauge Stop Rod (as shown in the picture below) to the miter. If present, the set screw needs to be removed to adjust the glide.
miter gauge stop rod.jpg
miter gauge stop rod.jpg (9.54 KiB) Viewed 13847 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
vrodbrad
Gold Member

Post by vrodbrad »

Okay cool and thanks for the info. Will take a look and do what the things said to do.
vrodbrad
Gold Member

Post by vrodbrad »

Well got it figured out thanks guys. The set screw was all the way down. Loosened it up and sled great except for the plastic knobs on bottom they are worn down. Tried to loosen up but they are so seized in their may have to drill them out. Anyway thanks again
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

vrodbrad wrote:Well got it figured out thanks guys. The set screw was all the way down. Loosened it up and sled great except for the plastic knobs on bottom they are worn down. Tried to loosen up but they are so seized in their may have to drill them out. Anyway thanks again
Which version of the miter gauge slides do you have?

Teeny tiny or large with slot? The teeny tiny are adjusted from above with a straight blade screw driver.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
vrodbrad
Gold Member

Post by vrodbrad »

Teeny tiny with straight lot tried and would not move either way
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

vrodbrad wrote:Teeny tiny with straight lot tried and would not move either way
One needs a small but correctly dimensioned(straight shank) screw driver. Yes they are not easy to turn.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

They can be difficult to remove and since they are nylon the screwdriver slot can be damaged trying to get them out. That was the case with the one shown on the related thread. They can be drilled out just be careful not to hit the threads in the Miter's aluminum casting.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.