AO Smith Centrifugal Switch

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jhscarborough
Bronze Member

AO Smith Centrifugal Switch

Post by jhscarborough »

Don't know why or how this happened, but it did. One of the arms of the switch broke (while it was running) freeing the springs and counterweight into the switch housing. Obviously I need a replacement. Can someone point me to a source for this assembly or maybe even a OEM part number? Also called the rotating switch or the governor.
IMG_5646.JPG
IMG_5646.JPG (71.66 KiB) Viewed 14754 times
Last edited by jhscarborough on Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Original owner 1984 MarkV w/BS and an army of other tools.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: AO Smith Centrifugal Switch

Post by JPG »

A O Smith is no longer in the motor business.

You may need to repair what you have.

Not recommended, but a manually operated switch would be a work around.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

One other option to consider for a source is eBay Motor rebuilder who specializes in Shopsmith motor rebuilds. If he has a motor with bad windings, he might sell you just the piece you need. Or you could have him rebuild what you have with new bearings etc. Just a thought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTOR-REBUILDIN ... 1021304762

In addition to the Mark V's he has done some of the 1960 era Mark VII motors as well as I recall.

Everett
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ah yes!!!! I had forgotten about Simon. Provided an emerson switch actuator a while back.

Definitely worth an e-mail or a 'question' to him on e-bay that includes your e-mail address.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jhscarborough
Bronze Member

Post by jhscarborough »

Picked up a brand new one from a swimming pool pump repair guy. It is a readily available part. I just wasn't thinking outside the box. Exact fit, works perfectly.

Thanks for your responses.
AO Smith Start Governor
AO Smith Start Governor
IMG_5659.JPG (115.74 KiB) Viewed 14650 times
Original owner 1984 MarkV w/BS and an army of other tools.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Swimming Pool Pump motor.... now that is a good bit of information to have.

Thanks,

Everett

Follow-up - there are a bunch of repair videos out there for Pumps on YouTube as well that are quite applicable to repair of motors like those in Shopsmith gear.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I wondered how long it would take this guy to post his crap. He replied to 2 or 3 old threads and now we get the real thing. SPAM
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

John I presume their posts were deleted. I don’t see anything current other than your post about them.

Everett
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

everettdavis wrote:John I presume their posts were deleted. I don’t see anything current other than your post about them.

Everett
uh huh!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝