Today's Lesson (about the forum)

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

garys
Platinum Member

Re: Today's Lesson (about the forum)

Post by garys »

In this case, the common ground between the Shopsmith site and the Facebook site would be your own computer. If posts to one of them shows up in the other one, I'd be concerned about the computer being compromised so it shares information to both sites, and likely a lot more sites.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

garys wrote:In this case, the common ground between the Shopsmith site and the Facebook site would be your own computer. If posts to one of them shows up in the other one, I'd be concerned about the computer being compromised so it shares information to both sites, and likely a lot more sites.
I have had a home network that I abandoned for this very reason. I could never be certain just where some of my data might end up. I was especially concerned about financial files. I now have them on a separate computer that is used for NOTHING ELSE and I never plug a flash drive into it. It backs up to a separate resident HD.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Hobbyman2 wrote:This topic hits home with me as well , recently I made a comment on a thread on FB and it showed up on the SS group
, SS site was supposed to be a secure site,my face book page was supposed to be family and friends only , I then made a post on the SS group site and it appeared on other sites ,again post from secure sites ? I have deleted nearly all of my groups , from now on if I need to order something I will call or find some where else to order . just dont fee the need or obligation to play their games..
My curiosity was aroused so a checked into FB (something I normally do not do). I found that what you describe regarding posts being seen other than where they were posted (FB) is quite possible. If you have set your membership in the Shopsmith Group (any of the three) for PUBLIC Sharing you are allowing for your postings there to be seen outside of the "closed group".

It might be advisable for you to spend some time checking on how your account there is set up. I just changed mine to limit sharing.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Since I don't have a Facebook account but the wife does, do I need to worry? I looked for a way to limit sharing of my posts in the control panel but, found nothing relevant.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Thanks garys I thought the same thing, however I am now fairly sure t was a FB issue . it could be possible my computer was hacked some how ,or my fb account ,, since it was all contained to fb I am pretty sure it had to be a fb privacy failure on their part or between my computer and their link , I should have taken pictures and documented the post .at this point I feel like Dusty .

Thanks Dusty
Dusty at first this is what I thought had happened with privacy settings ,,, even though I have been a fb member for quite some time and have never had this happen before .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Hobbyman2 wrote:Thanks garys I thought the same thing, however I am now fairly sure t was a FB issue . it could be possible my computer was hacked some how ,or my fb account ,, since it was all contained to fb I am pretty sure it had to be a fb privacy failure on their part or between my computer and their link , I should have taken pictures and documented the post .at this point I feel like Dusty .

Thanks Dusty
Dusty at first this is what I thought had happened with privacy settings ,,, even though I have been a fb member for quite some time and have never had this happen before .
Surely it is safe to assume that you have verified your FB security settings.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Am I correct that all this discussion is regarding FB 'sites/groups' and posts appearing amongst the other FB groups including the FB SS group?

If so, it all can be attributed to FB looseness of 'protocol' and stuff appearing on this forum from there is moot.

When referring to a site as 'secure' surely that is not a reference to 'httpS'!

As for home network security, only thy neighbors need be worried about(IF a wireless network) or some sneak wiring into your ethhernet.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

IF YOU PUT IT ON THE INTERNET IT IS PUBLIC! No matter what a site claims, no matter how your settings are set... And it is there "forever". If you post something on a group (even this forum) ANYBODY can copy and paste or screen capture or however and post it any place they want. So called "Internet privacy" is a joke of a term. :rolleyes: :)
If you want something private don't put it online (or say it out loud in your home, the toaster may be listening.) :D
A niece and her husband were recently discussing loaning their honey extractor to a neighbor and in 24 hours they started getting ads for honey extractors... :rolleyes:
Yes they have one of the digital voice assistant things, I don''t know which one. It might have been some phone app instead (shrug).

I held off on getting on-line in the early days because of all of the horror stories I was hearing. Once I got on-line (I think in 1994) I felt silly for not getting on sooner. Of course those were simpler times but they didn't feel simple at the time.
I keep Facebook sat as "public" and just don't post anything I want private. "Damn the torpedo's, full speed ahead"... :D
BTW, in all those years I have NEVER gotten a virus on-line. I do run a free anti-virus and my primary operating system of choice has been Linux for a long time now. Somewhat smaller target and like a cat it cleans itself well each time it boots up. :) I do have one laptop running Windows 10 and of course phones and tablet run Android. My ancient iMac (OS-X) gave up the ghost a couple of years ago.
I do try to be careful what I click on and I sometimes delete a questionable email unopened.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

Another odd thing I noted is the number of people on this forum at any one time. It appears we had over 750 users browsing the forum yesterday just after 5:00 in the afternoon. We are breaking records with viewership everyday.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

WileyCoyote wrote:Another odd thing I noted is the number of people on this forum at any one time. It appears we had over 750 users browsing the forum yesterday just after 5:00 in the afternoon. We are breaking records with viewership everyday.
Yes, the number of viewers has been unusually large (at least the last few days) but do remember that "viewers" and "members" are two different groups of people. I just which that a much larger portion of those "viewers" would join the forum as "active members". Many of these "viewers" undoubtedly have much to offer as woodworkers to this forum.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty