Parts for gilmer clutch?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pablo
Bronze Member

Parts for gilmer clutch?

Post by pablo »

Hi everyone. I've looked through several threads related to the gilmer drive clutch and haven't found an answer to my problem. I've cleaned the clutch on my gilmer drive sleeve and it slips at just below 10 foot pounds of torque. Inside, there are 5 fiber washers and only three metal ones. I'm wondering if the parts are either worn out, or if some are missing. I have two options: 1. find replacement parts to replace or add to the existing parts, or 2. find another way to increase the friction in the system. I've tried adding additional washers on the spring side, but that just barely lifted the holding power to around 10 Ft lbs.

Any thoughts on how I can fix this short of converting to a poly V?
beeg
Platinum Member

Re: Parts for gilmer clutch?

Post by beeg »

I think Bill Mayo used 15 Ft lbs.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

There is a thread on here somewhere where someone was able to successfully put one back together to achieve the proper torque by changing up the arrangement of the washers. I will try to search for it later.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

WileyCoyote wrote:There is a thread on here somewhere where someone was able to successfully put one back together to achieve the proper torque by changing up the arrangement of the washers. I will try to search for it later.
MickyD/10er thread.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

That is the one. :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

I just re-read that entire thread. A lot of good info in there from some great minds.