Finish for woodworking jigs & fixtures?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Finish for woodworking jigs & fixtures?

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Hey guys, I'm building an exact-fit dado jig, similar to this one by Marc Spagnuolo, The Wood Whisperer.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... j4vGS4HY-8[/youtube]

My materials are 3/4" baltic birch plywood, and some solid oak edging for the fences where the router bushing rides. I don't normally put a finish on shop-made jigs. But it's a bit of work getting good straight edges on the fences of this jig, and so I'm inclined to apply some sort of protective finish.

Any recommendations?
twistsol
Gold Member

Re: Finish for woodworking jigs & fixtures?

Post by twistsol »

I use tung oil (boiled linseed oil) on all my shop jigs. It is cheap, easy to apply and easy to refresh as it it wears off.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

I use Watco or Waterlox oils. Very easy to apply and renew.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I don't use any finish on my jigs. But, I don't make any critical fit jigs from plywood. I use maple hardwood. With just a bit of sanding on the edges, maple gives a crisp sharp edge.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I use whatever is on hand, but wipe on poly is easiest for me. It also helps seal the wood from moisture so wood movement is lessened.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I use Watco when I do seal them but most of the time I just leave them bare.
Paul
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

masonsailor2 wrote:I use Watco when I do seal them but most of the time I just leave them bare.
Paul
Sehast mentioned Watco as well. Are you guys talking about their "Danish Oil" products? I see that the Watco brand includes a bunch of different products, including tung oil and wipe-on poly.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catal ... nds/watco/
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I keep a couple of cans of spray shellac and on something nice I use that so it stays clean. I have also been known to paint some items thinly to seal it. Most are left plain and they don't really matter much since such things tend to sink out of sight and vanish anyway... :D :rolleyes:

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I usually use spray on shellac then a light sanding and then Polly. It stabilizes the material and keeps it clean.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:
masonsailor2 wrote:I use Watco when I do seal them but most of the time I just leave them bare.
Paul
Sehast mentioned Watco as well. Are you guys talking about their "Danish Oil" products? I see that the Watco brand includes a bunch of different products, including tung oil and wipe-on poly.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catal ... nds/watco/
The only Watco Danish oil I know of and use just has ‘Danish Oil’ on the front. Not sure of varieties of any Watco Danish oil, but a quart lasts me a long time and I think the last I bought was four or five years ago. It cures very hard and adds very little surface depth if you are concerned with tight tolerances. Some have complained that it has flaked, but I’ve never had any flake, though I did have a minwax wipeon poly, flake after a couple of years. I’d attribute that to operator application error before blaming the product.
My best results were with a foam brush.
All the jigs I had were coated in Danish oil, but I think that was more out of habit and the oil was on hand.
Not sure any of that helps, but for me, often the old tried and true beats trying new products, though I’m certain there are newer products that offer better results.

Be well,
Ben