Heads Up - Bargain 'available'

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Heads Up - Bargain 'available'

Post by RFGuy »

Like I've said before, 10ER's don't seem to come on market very often in my local area. When they do, it is often a significantly above market price that the seller will never get...Listed as a Mark V, but it is not. $690. fair bit of rust
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/tls/ ... 83987.html
00o0o_fhxx0jSRR6O_600x450.jpg
00o0o_fhxx0jSRR6O_600x450.jpg (29.98 KiB) Viewed 26427 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote:Like I've said before, 10ER's don't seem to come on market very often in my local area. When they do, it is often a significantly above market price that the seller will never get...Listed as a Mark V, but it is not. $690. fair bit of rust
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/tls/ ... 83987.html
00o0o_fhxx0jSRR6O_600x450.jpg
Not sure why that is. Pm sent.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Some people just value their equipment more than others. My Mark V is worth far more than $1295 - what it cost me. You could "not even" have mine for that price. If you offered that to me right now, I'd run you off the premise. :(
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote:Some people just value their equipment more than others. My Mark V is worth far more than $1295 - what it cost me. You could "not even" have mine for that price. If you offered that to me right now, I'd run you off the premise. :(
Value is definitely in the eye of the beholder that is for sure. Everything Shopsmith that I have was purchased brand new and has been well cared for. I totaled it up one time, between the Mark V and all the accessories, I think I have sunk $8k into all of it. If I could get someone to give me half that amount for it, I would take the money (sadly market value is way less). Not even accounting for inflation here. If going on value alone (bang for the buck), the clear way to go is to buy all used Shopsmith tools to begin with, but I didn't do that.

When it comes to 10ER's...the funny thing is that I see them quite regularly for sale online in other states around the country ($100-400 usually). They don't come up in AZ that often since I have been looking. There is a very rusted one in Prescott still for sale, I think. I had made a reasonable offer, but never got a response from them...but that is the new "normal" on Craigslist, i.e. lots of ghosting.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

If you are answering an ad on craigslist through their email sometimes it does not go through. I have had that happen both trying to buy and sell. As for the price they are all over the place here. There is currently six for sale within about 250 miles from me ranging in price from $50 to $800. As for descriptions they vary greatly in accuracy. There is a 1947 :confused: Model 10ER for sale near me. What's wrong with that statement? :o This is a case of buyer beware if you do not know that much about what you are buying it pays to do your homework.

Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Jmcc737
Bronze Member

Post by Jmcc737 »

So I get I can't post my own sale here so I wont, but I'm curious if i can ask about the value of what i have. Delete if against the rules. Got a Mark v from a coworker a few years back. Tons of accessories. Motor runs. Model number marks it as a 1980 model. Some surface rust on some of it but easily cleaned off. I'm not trying to run top dollar for it but I dont want to give it away. I know this isnt much to go off of. If I can figure out pictures I got about 9 though. TIA
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Jmcc737 wrote: If I can figure out pictures I got about 9
See if this helps with the posting of pictures part of your questions
https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/comm ... 19246.html

Some of the factors affecting value:
Exact model number and configuation
Condition
Types of accessories. Some are rarer and more valued than others.
A little research in what is available in your area (by searching Craigslist ads) may help too. Check using Shopsmith and Shop Smith as search terms ... spelled as two words you will get more results. And if you search ebay, look not only at current listings, but do an advanced search to see actual sales.
Jmcc737
Bronze Member

Post by Jmcc737 »

Well I got a reply on cl, apparantly I used the jigsaw model #, the unit is actually from 1956 and correct model number for the Mark V is 319693. Pretty cool! Leave for Denver tonight but when I get home I'll do some real cataloguing and organize this stuff.
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

50th anniversary 520 with dust system on Ebay in Charleston SC:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/shopsmith-mark ... SwPtBc3Ef~
BobCoates1953
Gold Member

Post by BobCoates1953 »

Never saw one that looks like this Mark 2.
https://allentown.craigslist.org/tls/d/ ... 95169.html