Canadian Woodworking Magazine

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Lodgepole
Gold Member

Canadian Woodworking Magazine

Post by Lodgepole »

I don't know if anyone else subscribes to this magazine, but here is a link to a free issue: Canadian Woodworking & Home Improvement Magazine <cduguay@canadianwoodworking.com>

With all of the online information i am amazed that there are still woodworking magazines for sale. i guess my favorite is still Wood magazine. I have been subscribing to it since early 80s.
sehast
Gold Member

Re: Canadian Woodworking Magazine

Post by sehast »

I still subscribe to Wood but I find Woodsmith and Fine Woodworking much more useful particularly if you also get their online addons.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I have subscriptions for Woodsmith, Wood, Woodworker's Journal, Woodcraft, Furniture & Cabinetmaking and The Woodworker. Mostly because they are gifted to me. The Woodworker and Furniture & Cabinetmaking are monthly British woodworking magazines that I have a digital subscription for. I like the different approaches on how to do things in the different magazines. Occasionally I will read other woodworking magazines when an article catches my eye.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Started off with issue #1 of FWW, added Wood sometime later. Then Woodsmith, WWJ, and American Woodworker. Let them all lapse except Woodsmith. Gave my 30 year+ accumulation to a beginner. He was ecstatic...his wife?..not so much. OTOH, my wife was very happy.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Thanks for some of the suggestions here. I never considered looking into Canadian magazines, but these are worth a look. Personally, I grew up on Wood magazine and ShopNotes. I enjoyed both very much, but I seem to remember Wood magazine struggling where the content went downhill for awhile so I stopped it. I am bad with time, so this was maybe 2-3 decades ago. Don't know if anyone can confirm this or not, or agrees with me. I have been happy with Fine Woodworking the past decade or so. What I really like about it is that you can purchase their entire archive and get it on a USB drive. It is really nice to be able to search the entire archive right on my computer. Alternatively you can purchase the yearly online deal from them and do the same from their website.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

My only remaining subscription is for Wood and it is available on USB if that is what you prefer. FWIW, I do not believe it has gone "down hill" at all. I am a long time subscriber of Wood but have dumped all the others. The first to go was Fine Woodworking.

https://www.woodstore.net/product-p/usb-00100-29.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote:My only remaining subscription is for Wood and it is available on USB if that is what you prefer. FWIW, I do not believe it has gone "down hill" at all. I am a long time subscriber of Wood but have dumped all the others. The first to go was Fine Woodworking.

https://www.woodstore.net/product-p/usb-00100-29.htm
Dusty,

I wasn't trying to disparage Wood magazine. I enjoyed it for many years. Just from my recollection, there seemed to be a time where the content wasn't as good so I stopped reading it. This was a long, long time ago (2 decades?) and the magazine probably did improve after this. My guess is maybe they were going through a transition period with writers, etc. I never did re-subscribe after this though, so I don't know.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

I have hundreds of pounds of a various publications in storage containers. This Fall and Winter I will go through and cut out some of the projects and articles I like the most and put them in 3 ring binders, but most will go to recycling. I still get Wood (for another couple years) but when it runs out, I’ll not renew. Not because I don’t like it, but there are fewer and fewer projects I find I can (or want) to make. I ‘may’ keep my FWW, just because of the quality of articles, but most will go back to Ebay for someone else to enjoy.
I put ads in my local CL to first sell and then give away many of my magazines, but I only got requests for rare copies. Decades of skiing, motorsports and flying, as well as wood working made it into the recycling trailers.
I do look at Woodworker’s Journal via RBdigital and if something interests me I send a copy to a printer, but MUCH of my new info comes from contributors on this forum and a couple others. With YouTube, I get lots of input, though way too much is from people who have less a clue than me and that’s down right scary🤪🤣
The past few years I’ve been relegated to reading rather than doing. This Spring slowly getting back into making wood shavings and saw dust. Part of it has allowed a clarity that I can’t make much of what I used to. Also, many of the new and improved toys are not going to make it in to my collection.😩. Since much of the space (other than advertising) in wood magazines are about new toys, they have less interest to me.
Which leads to the obfuscated point of this rambling (yes finally 😁). Few magazines can offer articles which cover the breadth of information which will satisfy the well seasoned user and the newbie. I believe we subscribe in hopes we will find enough gems to make it worth the time and price. For a lucky few, one or two magazines offer most every thing they want. For some, a few articles to keep subscribing year after year. Personally, I give a magazine a couple years of blah and mundane before I tear up the mountain of renewal notices.
Since my newest immediate plans 🤔 are getting back to making flag boxes, exploring turning chess pieces and Harry Potter wands and seeing what mischief and havoc I can create with a 3D printer and pouring epoxy into gaps in wood, I’ll trust that any thing earth shattering will show in the wisdom and excitement of this group.

Be well,
Ben