New Kreg adaptive cutting system

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: New Kreg adaptive cutting system

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

dcottrill wrote:... I like the Paul Pluk designed work table and it is liter in weight and can be modified/designed to meet your needs.
I Googled “Paul Pluk table”, and came up dry. Did you mean the Ron Paulk table? If so, I’ll have to give it a closer look.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:
dcottrill wrote:... I like the Paul Pluk designed work table and it is liter in weight and can be modified/designed to meet your needs.
I Googled “Paul Pluk table”, and came up dry. Did you mean the Ron Paulk table? If so, I’ll have to give it a closer look.
Yeah, assuming he meant Ron Paulk, I just wanted to add that I saw a YouTube video with Ron recently. I guess he now has a company that CNC machines all the parts for his workbench, so if you don't want to build it from plans you can order and have it shipped to you. A good option if someone likes his workbench design and wants to get to work quickly rather than building their own from scratch. He also recommends using an ultra-lightweight type of plywood for his workbench, but I can't tell from the website below if this is used for this one for sale.
https://www.fastcap.com/product/paulk-workbench
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQTNdDY1cE4

Thanks dcottrill for posting about your Festool experience. I appreciate it. I still haven't bought any yet, but I am still considering the Domino and maybe one of their sanders for future purchases. Budget just isn't there for me until I can get back to work though. Your impression of their track saw not holding up if you dropped it definitely interests me. I know when you spend that much money on a tool you tend to hold it close and try not to let anything happen to it, but accidents do happen. When I have watched YouTube videos of Festool tools like the Kapex or their track saw, it just seemed to me that Festool puts more plastic buttons on the tools for adjustments than what I have seen on competing brands. Maybe it is just my impression but when I watch some of the videos, I just see parts that look like they might break easily. In comparison to the Milwaukee and DeWalt tools that I own, it just doesn't seem like the Festool tools are built for reliability and robustness. Just my 2 cents...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Ron has posted a video saying that Fastcap has some left but no new production so if you want one you will have to see if they have any left or make them your self.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pzG_I76fHM

Depending on where you live and other factors determine if it would be practical to get the Moreland Ultralight plywood. I'd like to get just a couple of sheets but have not found a way here where I live that is reasonable.

I have the plans for the miter station and found a few issues with them, can not speak to the other plans. I'm not planning on building his version anyway, it doesn't fit my needs and space constants but still worth the $10 just to see how it was done and to adapt some of his ideas to what I need.

I'm now a big fan of Festool. I'm limiting myself to just a couple of thousand $ every year. I love the MFT and what the hole pattern along with dogs brings to both working and clamping. I've gotten the extension table for it this year along with the Kapex, and I hope to add another sander sometime later this year. I have just a couple more of their tools I'd like to have but time and money will dictate if and when they might happen.

The Festool system is designed very well and it is a system so they took the extra step to get to that point, most other companies have not and do not. Besides if they were cheaper everyone would own them and what fun would that be?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I know this is a somewhat old thread, but I just wanted to thank everyone who posted on this thread before. In particular, I wanted to say a big thank you to Ed (reible), Ben (benush26), sehast and Dan (dcottrill) who have owned/used Festool products. Each of you gave very thorough (lengthy) and well thought out responses regarding what does/does not differentiate various Festool products in the marketplace. After a lot of deliberation and hand-wringing, I finally made the decision to purchase a Domino for my shop. I have used the Shopsmith mortise and tenon package quite a bit in the past and I appreciated having it, but I am very much looking forward to the speed of making loose tenon joints with my new Domino on future projects. The feedback and advice that I received on this thread played a big part in pushing me over the edge towards making a decision on this purchase, so I just wanted to say thank you.

In addition and on a related note, many thanks to Ed (reible) for sharing his various MFT worktables and solutions on the following thread: https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/gene ... 22002.html.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

RFguy,

You will absolutely love the Domino!

Jack
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

claimdude wrote:RFguy,

You will absolutely love the Domino!

Jack
Thanks Jack. I appreciate it. If you, or anyone else gave me feedback in another thread on Festool, and I forgot, please forgive me. I wanted to express my thanks in my thread this morning to all of you who contributed. It is an expensive purchase, so I am particularly thankful for those of you with hands on experience with Festool who gave feedback on this forum. Your opinions made a difference for me...
📶RF Guy