What to do with those spare parts

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: What to do with those spare parts

Post by dusty »

StevenAyres wrote:Looks good! How well does the center-lift idea work?
It works but that 1" MDF table top is a bit heavier and it does require more effort to elevate. I have the table tubes (no table) centered so that it sorta balances. Stability then comes when I elevate the extension tables.

My first assembly did not include the extension tables. I added those because I leaned on the front edge of the table and it began to tilt. The extension tables prevent that bit still allow the bench top to slide around. I'll fix that soon.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Dusty,
I wonder if you would add a table raiser if that would help.
BPR
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ryanbp01 wrote:Dusty,
I wonder if you would add a table raiser if that would help.
BPR
"Table Raiser" or "Carriage" -- I'm not sure what you are suggesting. I have the carriage (table height adjuster). I just have not included the main table. I don't want the table to tilt. It is intended to be my "work bench". When I do want to change the height I can do so. Just grunt a bit more.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

dusty wrote:Stability then comes when I elevate the extension tables.
So if I understand correctly, the bench is not attached to the side tables, but rather sitting on top of them. Do I have it right?

It may not be clear in the original post that I've lagged just the table legs (left over from the 510 conversion) to the bench, no tables.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Yes, you have it right.

The work bench is not currently attached but soon will be somehow. I have yet to determine just how. Leaving it to float as it currently is would almost certainly invite disaster. You can see, in the pictures I posted, clamps holding the bench top to the extension tables.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

The gas spring table raiser for drill press mode , part 556335. Modify the ends which hold the cylinder so you wouldn't have to lift so much as you would have to press down to adjust the work surface.
BPR
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

ryanbp01 wrote:The gas spring table raiser for drill press mode , part 556335. Modify the ends which hold the cylinder so you wouldn't have to lift so much as you would have to press down to adjust the work surface.
BPR
That will not work in Dusty's application. It is way too long.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Stout(and long or with spacer) wrapped around the main table mounting tubes could help counter the weight.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

We're trying to fix something that is not broke. The Shorty Work Bench will very seldom be raised and/or lowered. Once it gets its legs, I'll set it up for the height I most often need and it will remain there.

Thanks for the idea though. I did not pick up on the other style raiser application.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty