A very wet spring

Post by robinson46176 »

One of those Indiana days today.
Too dry to row a boat.
Too wet to plant.
Too cold to swim.
Too warm to build a snowman.
So we took a drive...
Saw a field of corn about 2" tall over south-ish of Bengal IN.
Had a very large antler-less deer dash across highway Indiana135 in front of us kind of between Fruitdale IN and Bean Blossom IN.
Had a nice stop at the Chocolate Moose in Nashville IN then about 20 minutes later made a stop at the State Road 46 Walmart at Columbus IN to walk off some of the effects of the Chocolate Moose stop. :)
Nice afternoon, looked at a lot of stuff, talked about a lot of stuff. Did a lot of planning, a little wishing...
We try to find roads that don't run in a straight line or are too flat.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Re: A very wet spring

Post by ryanbp01 »

Too wet to mow. Thinking of planting rice.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

ryanbp01 wrote:Too wet to mow. Thinking of planting rice.

I have areas that I can mow (well I did a few days ago) and areas I can't. A few areas I have mowed left muddy looking tracks that thankfully go away when it rains and since it is raining almost every day they are gone now.
I finally got the hip high yard mowed at the currently empty rental house at the mini farm (17 acres) over in the next county. It sits right on the edge of the Big Flatrock River valley and is extremely well drained.
We have been doing a good bit of preliminary work and a whole lot of planning on that project. Much of what we are doing now is cleanup work as the last renter hauled in and piled up a lot of "stuff", literally tons of stuff. It's been tough working it in with it raining every 15 minutes and all of the horse stuff at home being harder to keep up with this year.
This years prize winning word is "MUD"... :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :(

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Got the vegetable garden planted on Monday. Cannas got planted today. I'm not happy with the soil condition with the flowergarden portion so I plan to retill that portion tomorrow. I like to have th soil look fluffy rather than the gummy, coarse look it has no.
BPR
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Got the vegetable garden planted on Monday. Cannas got planted today. I'm not happy with the soil condition with the flower garden portion so I plan to retill that portion tomorrow. I like to have th soil look fluffy rather than the gummy, coarse look it has no.
BPR
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Funny we are bone dry here in Florida. No rain in weeks.

I say we hire better weathermen that can spread the rain around and cut down on violent storms. :D
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Well, it looks like we're in for another active night. The weather radio has been going off.
BPR
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

One good thing after all of the rain: 5 days after planting, the green beans are up!