Another New Owner, Another Old Machine: I FINALLY own one

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

johnonymous
Bronze Member

Another New Owner, Another Old Machine: I FINALLY own one

Post by johnonymous »

Hello, All.

My name's John. I've been poking around this forum here and there for a while.

After many years of wanting one, I finally got a Shopsmith for what I thought was a good price.
It's a 10ER, SN 43345. (1949?)

She powers up and runs smoothly, however, it turns out many parts are missing: the table insert(s), the table insert, the table riser arm, and (most importantly) the tool holder. (I assumed these parts were in a milk crate with other parts, even though I know what assuming does.) Without the missing parts I'm stuck with a (very decent) drill press.

I'd hoped to have a little to spend on some upgrade, but that budget is going toward getting the unit into basic operational condition.

On the upside, some of the extra parts are for a Mk V, including: a table (with regular and dado inserts, but without crank), extension table with ripping fence, and tool rest holder (without the tool rest), and various blade guards. Maybe I can trade these for the parts I need.

I see that MKC has some of the parts I'm looking for, but I'm wondering if you might recommend some other groups/communities that support the 10er.

Thanks.

I'm looking forward to your responses, and reading more on this forum.
10 ER
SN:43345
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Another New Owner, Another Old Machine: I FINALLY own one

Post by chapmanruss »

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum and the addictive (not necessarily a bad thing) world of the Shopsmith.

You said
She powers up and runs smoothly, however, it turns out many parts are missing: the table insert(s), the table insert, the table riser arm, and (most importantly) the tool holder. (I assumed these parts were in a milk crate with other parts, even though I know what assuming does.) Without the missing parts I'm stuck with a (very decent) drill press.
If I understand you correctly you do have the table assembly but no inserts, the Table Riser arm which goes on the front table post and the "tool holder" which I am guessing you mean the Lathe Tool Rest. All these parts can be found on online auctions.

If you do not have a Manual I suggest you download a copy from the Maintenance and Repair section under Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis. This will be one of the first three topics. In it you will find a wealth of information on the Shopsmith tools. Some are directly linked there and others are on “My Google Drive” with documents too large to be directly linked. The Magna 10ER Restored Owners Manual will be closest to your Model 10ER. With that you can compare in the drawings and parts list what you have and find what you do not have that originally came with your Shopsmith. There will be some variances between what the manual lists and your Model 10ER which is an earlier version than the manual. As an example your 10ER should have Double Wedge Quill and Way Tube Locks but the 10ER in the manual has all Single Wedge Locks and they are not interchangeable. This changed between Headstock version 5 and 6. Your Headstock should be version 4.

When looking for parts it is important to note that from the introduction of the Model 10E in 1947 through 1953 when the Model 10ER ended production there were a lot of changes made in the Model 10's. Sometimes a single part is all that is needed for replacement, such as a table insert. Other times an entire assembly may be required like the owner of a 10E wanting to change from the wood extension table to the metal one. If you have any questions as to parts that will work on your Shopsmith you can always ask them here.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

johnonymous wrote:Hello, All.

My name's John. I've been poking around this forum here and there for a while.

After many years of wanting one, I finally got a Shopsmith for what I thought was a good price.
It's a 10ER, SN 43345. (1949?)

I'd hoped to have a little to spend on some upgrade, but that budget is going toward getting the unit into basic operational condition.

On the upside, some of the extra parts are for a Mk V, including: a table (with regular and dado inserts, but without crank), extension table with ripping fence, and tool rest holder (without the tool rest), and various blade guards. Maybe I can trade these for the parts I need.

I see that MKC has some of the parts I'm looking for, but I'm wondering if you might recommend some other groups/communities that support the 10er.

Thanks.

I'm looking forward to your responses, and reading more on this forum.
Welcome aboard.

And congratulations on your acquisition. :)

In addition to MKCtools, Hog Winslow also specializes in 10ER parts. (note he has more parts than are shown on the web page)
https://sites.google.com/site/hogwinslowwoodworking/

and of course there is Ebay for parts too.

Some Mark V-500 table inserts can be modified to work on the 10ER. http://www.mkctools.com/mkvinsert10er.htm

It is also not hard to make your own table inserts from wood, plastic, or aluminum.
This is a quick and dirty insert I made when I needed one for use with a wobble dado blade. I reduced the thickness at the ends with the disk sander :) (told you it was quick and dirty)
dadoinserttop.jpg
dadoinserttop.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 12959 times
dadoinsertbottom.jpg
dadoinsertbottom.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 12959 times
As to other forums,
There is the Skips Yahoo group. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Sho ... users/info
and the affiliated https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/erdocuments/info

and a Facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Shopsmith10ER/
and a Facebook group on converting to digital motors (repurposed from treadmills) https://www.facebook.com/groups/shopsmithdigital/
and a Facebook Shopsmith sales group https://www.facebook.com/groups/298235127282459/
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I made a handful of extra inserts for my Mark 5. All you need is any piece of wood 1/4" thick. The 10ER is likely similar. Measure the thickness you need and make a few.
I had a box of cedar closet liner (juniper). They were the exact thickness I needed so I simply cut out a few of them. That way I have some for regular saw blades, my dado blade, and router bits.
johnonymous
Bronze Member

Post by johnonymous »

Thanks all.
I appreciate the suggestions.
I ended up finding the parts I needed for around $100.

Here’s hoping I’ll be able to get rid of the Mk V stuff for around that (if not a little more) plus shipping.
10 ER
SN:43345