Using a Shop Smith Mark V on a Chris Craft Roamer refit

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

roamer46
Platinum Member

Re: Using a Shop Smith Mark V on a Chris Craft Roamer refit

Post by roamer46 »

I've had some mahogany boards stacked beneath the boat for a decade. I finally have a chance to put them to good use. First, I had the boards resawn to 5/8" thickness, then I ran them through my jointer. Next, I used one of the original fascia boards in the aft cabin as a pattern and made a new one. Chris Craft painted everything white in the aft cabin, even beautiful mahogany boards. But I'm keeping them in the natural wood color. We'll just clear coat them with ICA two-part polyurethane. Anyway, the first fascia board turned out really nice.

https://1969chriscraftroamer46.com/2019 ... cia-board/

Cheers,
Q

Before

After

A bit later

It's a good looking fascia!
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

I made the port side aft stateroom fascia panel over the weekend. This one turned out really nice, too.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Making the Aft Stateroom Port Fascia Board
Cheers
Q

Before

After
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

I got the center fascia board cut and fitted. Chris Craft used three mahogany boards painted white, with poor joinery between them. I'm going with one loooooong piece of beautiful mahogany that'll be clear coated with ICA two-part polyurethane. It's off at the paint shop now. I should have it back in time for the weekend.

Booya. Progress.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Making the Aft Stateroom Center Fascia Board

Cheers,
Q

Chris Craft's starboard-side aft fascia board

My aft fascia board
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

The fascia boards went to the paint shop and came back in time for me to install them over the weekend. They look awesome...much better than the white painted boards Chris Craft used. ;-)

This is a big step toward getting the headliner installed. Progress. Booya.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing the Gorgeous Aft Stateroom Fascia Boards
Cheers,
Q

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Very nice beams! Great work as always

Chris
roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

Thanks!

I got the last of the filler panels installed in the aft stateroom. Those are the panels that I'm putting between the ceiling frames so the Whisper Wall headliner tracks will have something to attach to. It's not glamorous or pretty, like the mahogany fascia panels, but getting these installed is mission critical for getting the headliner in, and I used my ShopSmith bandsaw to make them. I've only got two more steps to go before I call the headliner guy.

Progress.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing the Last Aft Stateroom Overhead Filler Boards

Cheers,
Q

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

I made a mahogany box that will hide the slider hardware for the aft stateroom head door. That's pretty much a wrap on prepping the aft stateroom for the headliner installation. The Whisper Wall installer is coming soon!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Making the Aft Head Sliding Door Box

Cheers,
Q

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

The headliner tracks have been installed around the aft stateroom perimeter! I'm all giddy!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing the Aft Stateroom Whisper Wall Tracks

Cheers,
Q

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

I jumped into the V-berth and got all of the headliner track mounting pieces installed all around the perimeter. I also got the Kai LED mounting panels installed and the wiring hooked up. It's not glamorous, but getting this step done is the second to the last thing I have to do before the headliner tracks can be installed. Progress. Booya.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Getting the V-berth Ready for Headliner Track Installation

Cheers,
Q

roamer46
Platinum Member

Post by roamer46 »

I got the framing for the slider screen for the V-berth hatch installed at just the right height. I'll use that fuzzy stuff (can't think of the name of the product) to seal the screen frame to the headliner so bugs can't get in when the hatch is open. I just have to finish cleaning up some wiring and I'm ready for the headliner installer to come out and put in more track.

Progress.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Fitting the V-berth Hatch Screen Track

Cheers,
Q