Jessem Tools NEW Mite-R-Excel II™

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Jessem Tools NEW Mite-R-Excel II™

Post by dusty »

Buy an INCRA for the Shopsmith and be happy. I cannot imagine that there could be any Shopsmith requirement for a miter gauge that would not be fulfilled by the Incra.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Ok, I have looked into it a good bit more.

MITE-R-EXCEL II is $269.99 (299 List) and would need some extensive work to make it fit Shopsmith and will not adapt to the Shopsmith safety grip.

556099 Shopsmith Edition Incra v120 Miter Gauge with adapter for safety grip $139.08 The grips is 49.59 if you need it.

522163A Incra MiterSled 5000 - Fits Mark V Model 510 & 520 with Pro Fence System, and MARK 7 is 352.79 and spot on accurate

The price for the MITE-R-EXCEL II is up there in price to not actually fit the Shopsmith or sport the Safety Grip option.

For $79.00 one can have the MiterSet Standard or the MiterSet Segments, or $149.00 for both sets. That's where I will remain for my needs.

Everett
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Well using an Incra miter on the Shopsmith isn't exactly trouble-free either, as this thread below shows:

https://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maintena ... 14763.html

Honestly, I never liked the design of the Incra miter gauges. My Shopsmith miter gauge works, but I had to buy a Miterset for setting it. The safety grip binds sometimes on it, so I am less inclined to use it. Bottomline is I am a tool addict and attracted to tools that are designed and engineered well. On paper, this new (revised from previous version) Jessem miter gauge checks off more of the boxes on my checklist than other miter gauge solutions. It is expensive though and it could be problematic adapting it to fit a Shopsmith though. I'll probably hold of purchasing this one for now, but I am eager to hear from anyone that purchases it and gets it to work on a Shopsmith.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote:Well using an Incra miter on the Shopsmith isn't exactly trouble-free either, as this thread below shows:

https://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maintena ... 14763.html

Honestly, I never liked the design of the Incra miter gauges. My Shopsmith miter gauge works, but I had to buy a Miterset for setting it. The safety grip binds sometimes on it, so I am less inclined to use it. Bottomline is I am a tool addict and attracted to tools that are designed and engineered well. On paper, this new (revised from previous version) Jessem miter gauge checks off more of the boxes on my checklist than other miter gauge solutions. It is expensive though and it could be problematic adapting it to fit a Shopsmith though. I'll probably hold of purchasing this one for now, but I am eager to hear from anyone that purchases it and gets it to work on a Shopsmith.

Since it not designed for use on the Shopsmith, it is not well designed for your intended use! Thus, uncheck that box.

I'm curious though. You say you never liked the design of the Incra miter gauges. Just what do you not like about the design AND (more importantly) just how does the Jessem design resolve those dislikes??? I, frankly, don't see a lot of difference. Furthermore, I tend to work to the right side of the blade.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Since it not designed for use on the Shopsmith, it is not well designed for your intended use! Thus, uncheck that box.

I'm curious though. You say you never liked the design of the Incra miter gauges. Just what do you not like about the design AND (more importantly) just how does the Jessem design resolve those dislikes??? I, frankly, don't see a lot of difference. Furthermore, I tend to work to the right side of the blade.
Well, I think a picture says a lot, so below is a comparison of the two miter gauges (protractor part) side by side. The Incra (Shopsmith version) is formed steel plate (thin) whereas the Jessem looks to be milled, or could be cast (assuming Al). The Incra doesn't come with the Al extrusions for the fence with flip stops, etc. unless you step up to the 1000/1000HD models which are nearly $200 putting it in the same price range as this new Jessem miter. Incra has a plastic main adjustment knob and the Jessem has a machined Al knob. I think the Jessem handle will fit better in my hand and be easier to turn. The Jessem protractor has a sleeve bearing for the pivot point, which I think is an upgrade over the Incra bolt and nylon insert pivot. Incra's claim to fame is the adjustability, so they have 120 angle stops, but for most users (or at least me) that is overkill. I would rather have the major angles with solid, precision stops AND a Vernier scale in case I want to fine tune those angles. Advantage goes to Jessem on this one. Lastly, the design of the Jessem just looks better than the Incra. You have stainless knurled knobs for attaching the Al fence to the protractor. I like the look of a white scale on a black background better than black on yellow. The Jessem is just a beefier design and looks solid and well built. The Jessem looks to have a nice big, easy to read scale on the protractor where the Incra has always had a small, fine print scale that could be hard to read as my eyesight worsens. Just my opinion though. Design aesthetic is subjective, so I have my opinion and respect those that disagree with it.
Incra_comp.jpg
Incra_comp.jpg (127.19 KiB) Viewed 39976 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

No doubt - it looks beefier and is probably every bit as accurate as the Incra. Too bad it is not compatible with the Shopsmith table.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I guess there is a possibility that this would never work on a Shopsmith and it isn't just the miter bar slot difference on Shopsmith. The miter slot is closer to the blade than other tablesaws. I didn't realize this, but I guess the Incra 1000HD won't even work on the Shopsmith because the protractor head is larger and could hit the sawblade (see thread linked below). I guess the Incra V120 Shopsmith is the only miter gauge that can fit the Shopsmith for aftermarket. The 1000HD can be used, but only if mounted in the Miter Express from Incra. For this new Jessem product, I don't know how wide the protractor head is, but it could have the same issue with sawblade clearance as the Incra 1000HD. Using the ruler on the fence as a guide from the Jessem website pics, it looks like the Jessem protractor head is about 18cm (~7in) wide, so it would come awfully close to the sawblade on a Shopsmith, if it doesn't hit it.

https://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maintena ... 18988.html
📶RF Guy

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

seems like a local machine shop could remedy the issue with the miter bar ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)