Jessem Tools NEW Mite-R-Excel II™

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Jessem Tools NEW Mite-R-Excel II™

Post by RFGuy »

I have been using the Shopsmith Miter gauge for a long time, but I know many members are also happy with the Incra version on their Shopsmith. Just curious if anyone has any opinions on the new Jessem miter gauge. I have been a fan of Jessem for some time now and own a few of their products. Their products always seem to be well built. I don't know if this miter gauge will work with the miter gauge slot on the Shopsmith, or if it can be converted to right of the blade cuts, but it looks interesting. Thoughts?

https://jessem.com/products/mite-r-excel-gauge-ii
JessemMiter.jpg
JessemMiter.jpg (69.21 KiB) Viewed 29303 times
JessemMiter2.jpg
JessemMiter2.jpg (129.63 KiB) Viewed 29303 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Jessem Tools NEW Mite-R-Excel II™

Post by jsburger »

I just got the email from Jessem today. I have not watched the video yet. The miter bar is undoubtedly 3/4". SS miter slots are 23/32". So the miter bar would have to be changed if that is even possible.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I just got in a set of JessEm Clear-Cut Stock Guides for my larger router table yesterday.
JessEM Clear Cut Stock Guides 04215.JPG
JessEM Clear Cut Stock Guides 04215.JPG (88.27 KiB) Viewed 29284 times
My Triton 3¼ HP Router is in at Lowes and I am going to pick that up later today.
Triton 3½HP Router  TRA001.png
Triton 3½HP Router TRA001.png (116.36 KiB) Viewed 29284 times
I trust JessEm's quality. I may well give this Miter Gauge a close look as well.

Everett
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

everettdavis wrote:I just got in a set of JessEm Clear-Cut Stock Guides for my larger router table yesterday.
JessEM Clear Cut Stock Guides 04215.JPG
My Triton 3¼ HP Router is in at Lowes and I am going to pick that up later today.
Triton 3½HP Router TRA001.png

I trust JessEm's quality. I may well give this Miter Gauge a close look as well.

Everett
I have had those stock guides for a while now. They work perfectly and are top shelf quality.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote:I have been using the Shopsmith Miter gauge for a long time, but I know many members are also happy with the Incra version on their Shopsmith. Just curious if anyone has any opinions on the new Jessem miter gauge. I have been a fan of Jessem for some time now and own a few of their products. Their products always seem to be well built. I don't know if this miter gauge will work with the miter gauge slot on the Shopsmith, or if it can be converted to right of the blade cuts, but it looks interesting. Thoughts?

https://jessem.com/products/mite-r-excel-gauge-ii
$matches[2]

JessemMiter2.jpg
Having looked at it now I wonder if the bar will fit the SS slot. The bar has 3 round buttons in it that the parts list calls "guide bar snuggers". They are presumably used to make a snug fit in a 3/4" miter slot. So I would think the miter bar itself is less than 3/4" wide.

I am seriously considering ordering one. I can use it on my Powermatic TS for sure.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

So, I have a pack of the steel miter bars from Shopsmith (item #555896), that I haven't used yet. Purchased to used for fixtures. IF the Jessem guide bar didn't work for some reason, I am wondering if I could adapt the rest of it to the Shopsmith miter bar without too much effort. Just a thought. From the pictures and looking through the manual, I can't tell whether the fence can be swapped, i.e. turned around to swap left and right side. I would really want this for making cuts in the right miter slot. If the extension bar and stops on this miter gauge can only be set for cutting on left side of blade, then it wouldn't be worth it for me. Still on the fence (no pun intended) here because I don't have a Powermatic TS as a "backup" to use it on. Still, I want one of these from Jessem. :(
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote:So, I have a pack of the steel miter bars from Shopsmith (item #555896), that I haven't used yet. Purchased to used for fixtures. IF the Jessem guide bar didn't work for some reason, I am wondering if I could adapt the rest of it to the Shopsmith miter bar without too much effort. Just a thought. From the pictures and looking through the manual, I can't tell whether the fence can be swapped, i.e. turned around to swap left and right side. I would really want this for making cuts in the right miter slot. If the extension bar and stops on this miter gauge can only be set for cutting on left side of blade, then it wouldn't be worth it for me. Still on the fence (no pun intended) here because I don't have a Powermatic TS as a "backup" to use it on. Still, I want one of these from Jessem. :(
You can certainly slide the fence all the way to the right of the protractor. That would allow cuts from the right miter slot. That would still allow the flip stop to work but the ruler would be backwards and you couldn't use the extension.

It is certainly not completely adaptable to the right miter slot in my opinion.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

It should be in the instructions on how to change it over. You may have to disassemble and reassemble the slide lock and the extension flip stop but it should be possible. I have to do that on my Incra telescoping fence if I want to use it to the right of the blade but it is not difficult.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

thunderbirdbat wrote:It should be in the instructions on how to change it over. You may have to disassemble and reassemble the slide lock and the extension flip stop but it should be possible. I have to do that on my Incra telescoping fence if I want to use it to the right of the blade but it is not difficult.
Well, I looked at the manual on line and there is no mention of that. The T slot that holds the fence to the protractor is different from the front T slot. It looks like you can't flip the fence end to end. Even if you could the flip stop would be on the back side. There is only one T slot on top and it is not centered.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote:
thunderbirdbat wrote:It should be in the instructions on how to change it over. You may have to disassemble and reassemble the slide lock and the extension flip stop but it should be possible. I have to do that on my Incra telescoping fence if I want to use it to the right of the blade but it is not difficult.
Well, I looked at the manual on line and there is no mention of that. The T slot that holds the fence to the protractor is different from the front T slot. It looks like you can't flip the fence end to end. Even if you could the flip stop would be on the back side. There is only one T slot on top and it is not centered.
Yeah, I agree. I looked at the manual and the exploded diagram a good long while. The extrusion is not symmetrical that they use. This combined with the knob adjustment for the extended fence makes it difficult to just turn it around. It really looks like it is designed for miter gauge left of the blade cuts only. If you take the extension off, you should be able to slide the 20" fence to the one side and potentially use it on the right of the blade. Of course, there could be some snafu that can't be seen until you attempt it. I mainly want the protractor and guide bar, so if those would work, I would be okay with shoehorning in a different extrusion for a fence of my own design. So, if anyone purchases this let me know how the Jessem guide bar fits the Shopsmith miter bar slots.
📶RF Guy