New Mark V 500 owner

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: New Mark V 500 owner

Post by RFGuy »

rechilcot wrote:Everyone here is a wealth of information. I really appreciate the help. I am sorry to ask another question. I removed the quill to check the bearing. It is very smooth and tight. Given this is a single bearing, are the dual bearings that much better?
I am no expert on the whole 1 vs. 2 bearing quill saga, but I will refer you to the link below for some of the discussion on it. I had the same question a while back and saw differing opinions online and in videos about it. JPG is right in that there seem to be quite varying opinions on which is better. Keep in mind these machines are always evolving so there are different manufacturing versions of a particular quill type as well. I think the 2 bearing quill is on its 5th version from Shopsmith.

http://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maintenan ... 12433.html

I hate to refer you over to the Facebook group, but if you are on Facebook join the Shopsmith Owners Group there. In it, you can search the group for "flex" and find a post by Geoffrey Baker (link below). He took some 1/4" thick Al bar stock and made an insert for the table, then attached a telescoping leg to the back of it. He said this greatly improved the flex problem he had while doing mortising on his Shopsmith. This is probably my next step because I have a project with some mortising I need to do next in my shop. The last time I used my Shopsmith for mortising, I wasn't very happy with it. I posted a pic below from Mr. Baker's FB posting for illustration, so he deserves all the credit. I hope he doesn't mind me posting it here...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6844615 ... SEARCH_BOX
mortise.jpg
mortise.jpg (74.08 KiB) Viewed 4134 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor