What to do with those spare parts

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

StevenAyres
Gold Member

What to do with those spare parts

Post by StevenAyres »

A while ago I acquired a greenie tube and leg set from my father-in-law along with his Mark VII, and I'd been musing on what to do with it. This past weekend I picked up a small carpenter's bench, and it occurred to me that the Shopsmith carriage could be useful. I'd like to see what you've built with Shopsmith parts that isn't a Shopsmith.
Attachments
New bench small.jpg
New bench small.jpg (823.4 KiB) Viewed 24751 times
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: What to do with those spare parts

Post by RFGuy »

StevenAyres wrote:A while ago I acquired a greenie tube and leg set from my father-in-law along with his Mark VII, and I'd been musing on what to do with it. This past weekend I picked up a small carpenter's bench, and it occurred to me that the Shopsmith carriage could be useful. I'd like to see what you've built with Shopsmith parts that isn't a Shopsmith.
Steven,

Cool idea...I like it. How hard is it to adjust the height? Wondering if it would be useful to install a carriage in the middle to have a crank for adjusting the height, but then the carriage might not be strong enough since you have a beefy top.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

RFGuy wrote:How hard is it to adjust the height? Wondering if it would be useful to install a carriage in the middle to have a crank for adjusting the height, but then the carriage might not be strong enough since you have a beefy top.
Raising the height is a matter of a little up on one side, a little more on the other, definitely not one-touch, but the table isn't as heavy as it looks. I considered the center-carriage idea with the side-table tubes, which would probably work pretty well if placed at the table's balance point. But I decided that the additional pair of tubes and carriage would eliminate most of the under-table space, and I'm thinking a set of tool drawers there will be handy.

I was also much attracted to the idea of setting it up for flipping the table vertical, which could be useful for some of the things I do. But the best way I could see to get there would be two table carriages rather than the side-table tubes, and that would significantly reduce the span between table supports.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

StevenAyres wrote:
RFGuy wrote:How hard is it to adjust the height? Wondering if it would be useful to install a carriage in the middle to have a crank for adjusting the height, but then the carriage might not be strong enough since you have a beefy top.
Raising the height is a matter of a little up on one side, a little more on the other, definitely not one-touch, but the table isn't as heavy as it looks. I considered the center-carriage idea with the side-table tubes, which would probably work pretty well if placed at the table's balance point. But I decided that the additional pair of tubes and carriage would eliminate most of the under-table space, and I'm thinking a set of tool drawers there will be handy.

I was also much attracted to the idea of setting it up for flipping the table vertical, which could be useful for some of the things I do. But the best way I could see to get there would be two table carriages rather than the side-table tubes, and that would significantly reduce the span between table supports.
Interesting idea to flip it vertical for some workbench functions. How do you do that? Do the end support tubes easily disconnect from the table top? Or do you have to raise both sides to max height to get the fixed end tubes out so that they other can rotate up?
Last edited by RFGuy on Sat May 11, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Steven,

I think you might have just resolved my dilemma for a work bench. I have all of the required parts with the single exception of tubes.

I've got to give this some serious consideration.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Here is a project from a number of years ago. I call it my "push-me pull-me double drill-press" (Dr. Dolittle). I've not done much of anything to it since I built it. I did put an SS caster set on it. I use it regularly, often with a different setup on each side.
Shopsmith push me pull me.JPG
Shopsmith push me pull me.JPG (60.92 KiB) Viewed 24689 times
This one is a router table I'm slowly working on. I also have an SS caster set for it. I think I only have one extra set left now. I need to get back on this project and finish it up. I do have a couple of bench router tables that "function" but neither would win any prizes.
I have a lot of things I am slowly working on, sometimes I even finish one of them... :rolleyes: :)
Shopsmith based router table with Bench Dog lift.jpg
Shopsmith based router table with Bench Dog lift.jpg (45.37 KiB) Viewed 24689 times

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Just because it is SS parts does not mean it HAS to have a tilt table! :D

Adding a carriage would also require adding the way tubes as well.

BTW adding the way tubes greatly improves strength/rigidity etc.. :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

RFGuy wrote:Interesting idea to flip it vertical for some workbench functions. How do you do that?
As I said, I thought about it, but didn't do it.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dusty wrote:Steven,

I think you might have just resolved my dilemma for a work bench. I have all of the required parts with the single exception of tubes.

I've got to give this some serious consideration.
You have done just that. I now have my Shorty converted to an adjustable height work bench and the cabinet full of miscellaneous parts rebuilt as a standard configuration Mark V Model 520. Thanks for the push.
New Shorty Work Bench w/o Legs
New Shorty Work Bench w/o Legs
20190601_144013.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 24240 times
Old Shorty with Long Tubes
Old Shorty with Long Tubes
20190603_074247.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 24240 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

Looks good! How well does the center-lift idea work?