Root Ball and resin bowl

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Root Ball and resin bowl

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Thought I would share my latest project. I turned this bowl from a Yew root ball. I cut the bush down 18 years ago, and dug up the root ball 5 years ago. I stabilized it with Cactus Juice, plopped it into a mold, and through several pours, filled the voids with Alumilite resin of several colors. This piece was hard as stone, literally! It had sand and stone embedded in it. I destroyed at least 5 carbide inserts (have to call Cap'n Eddie and restock!)and shortened a few bowl gouges. In the end I am quite pleased. Finished with Ack's Sanding Paste (a new sanding paste that I really like) and Shine Juice.
I will release a video after I edit what has to be 20 hours of turning into a watchable length!
Attachments
Root Ball 1.jpg
Root Ball 1.jpg (278.02 KiB) Viewed 18829 times
Root Ball 2.jpg
Root Ball 2.jpg (419.78 KiB) Viewed 18829 times
root ball 3.jpg
root ball 3.jpg (244.21 KiB) Viewed 18829 times
root ball 4.jpg
root ball 4.jpg (177.71 KiB) Viewed 18829 times
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Root Ball and resin bowl

Post by RFGuy »

Gorgeous! I had to Google what Cactus Juice is since I am new to bowlturning...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

That is stunning!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

nice!
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

That’s a fabulous bowl, Chris ... it looks like it’s made from nice big burl! How big is it, anyway? Amazing that it didn’t rot after 13 years in the ground.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Yew did a great job, Chris. It's gorgeous.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I never cease to be amazed by the variation in grain structure of root and crotch stock. I never turned root stock but I have turned crotch stock and either of them are VERY hard. The twisted grain makes it extremely difficult to keep the tools under control. But, Chris, you did a magnificent job.
Bill V

PS Chris, you may want to try this site
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/BC32 ... %20inserts