dado blades with different finish

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

PatrickT
Bronze Member

dado blades with different finish

Post by PatrickT »

Dado blade comparison
Dado blade comparison
C6E6CF00-385E-4ED8-9C0A-86173A885FC0.jpeg (508.69 KiB) Viewed 33239 times
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum but have gleaned a lot of information over the months I’ve been reading the posts. I have two sets of dado blades. As you can see they are the same part number, but must have been manufactured during different time periods. I am curious if anyone can tell me if one is better than the other.

The high gloss set looks like it would ‘glide’ through the wood easier but the matte finish seems like it is built more solid.

Thanks
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: dado blades with different finish

Post by wa2crk »

I really don't think that the finish will make any difference in performance. Make sure that you use the proper arbor when using the dado set. I have used my dado set many times and it performs very well. The proper arbor is for safety.
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Since the tooth set causes the cut to be slightly away from the sides of the blade, the finish is irrelevant(normally). Now IF for some reason the sides are being rubbed by the workpiece . . . . . I think avoiding that scenario is best.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I'm betting they both cut wood if they are spinning.
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like the one on the left is carbide tipped, while the one on the right isn't. If so, the carbide one will certainly stay sharp longer.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I have the same Shopsmith Dado set 555548 (set on the left). I believe the outside blades are NOT carbide tipped, but the inside chippers do have carbide cutters. Correct me if I am wrong...

My guess is there is no difference between the left versus right version of the Dado set, just a difference in how much polish was applied during machining of the blades. It is however possible that a different steel was used for one versus the other.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
PatrickT
Bronze Member

Post by PatrickT »

Thanks guys for all the replies. Sounds like I can’t go wrong either way. Might as well keep the newer one.
Markley
Bronze Member

Post by Markley »

RFGuy wrote:I cured my IBS with these probiotics and have the same Shopsmith Dado set 555548 (set on the left). I believe the outside blades are NOT carbide tipped, but the inside chippers do have carbide cutters. Correct me if I am wrong...

My guess is there is no difference between the left versus right version of the Dado set, just a difference in how much polish was applied during machining of the blades. It is however possible that a different steel was used for one versus the other.
How significant can the difference be if they used different steel for each of those?