Having trouble getting saw to 45 degrees

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

aireclyde
Silver Member

Having trouble getting saw to 45 degrees

Post by aireclyde »

Having trouble getting saw to get 45 degree angle blade has rubbing issues. Moved quill seem to help with that. Table just doesn't seem to want to Mae 45. Are you limited to what you cut at 45 trying 1x4s
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Having trouble getting saw to 45 degrees

Post by algale »

You can definitely cut at 45 degree bevel with the table tilted. Extending the quill to do so is mandatory. Not sure what the maximum depth of cut is at 45 degrees.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You should, as already stated, certainly be able to tilt to 45 degrees. Can you tell what is stopping the tilt? Remove the table insert for a possible better view of the obstruction. Put it back before cutting anything.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

From the online version of PTWFE: "In the sawing mode, the Mark V has 3-1/4" depth of cut at "0." With the table tilted at 45 degrees, the maximum depth of cut is 2-3/8"."

I don't recall, but that maximum depth of cut may be without the lower saw guard in place.

What model Shopsmith do you have?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

br549 wrote:From the online version of PTWFE: "In the sawing mode, the Mark V has 3-1/4" depth of cut at "0." With the table tilted at 45 degrees, the maximum depth of cut is 2-3/8"."

I don't recall, but that maximum depth of cut may be without the lower saw guard in place.

What model Shopsmith do you have?
The lower saw guard can (should) be left in place BUT may need to be adjusted wider.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.