Looking for Ideas for Sanding Disc and Sandpaper Storage

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Lodgepole
Gold Member

Looking for Ideas for Sanding Disc and Sandpaper Storage

Post by Lodgepole »

I am looking for ideas on how to store my 4 sanding discs, including 1 conical sanding disc, and varying grits of sanding disc paper. I would like to be able to store these items in my wall cabinet which is 10" deep and has a pegboard back.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for Ideas for Sanding Disc and Sandpaper Storage

Post by jsburger »

Here is what I use for my disks. It is one slot short because I made it before I got the second conical disk.
Attachments
Sanding Disks.jpg
Sanding Disks.jpg (235.3 KiB) Viewed 41265 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

Nice and simple! Thanks!
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

Rather than reinventing the wheel, would you please send me the dimensions, slot angles and depth of slots?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Lodgepole wrote:Rather than reinventing the wheel, would you please send me the dimensions, slot angles and depth of slots?
Yes I will. Just give me a day or two. Right now it is raining hard and blowing 20MPH so I am not going out to the shop. It is supposed to snow tonight but I will get the dimensions for you tomorrow afternoon.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I understand about weather, I spent most of my career working outside. I used to work in Moab in the early 80s on a fire crew. Then I was in Price from 82-87 as a Range Conservationist.

Please let me know if you would have any suggestions on assembly or wish you would have done anything different on this project. I will also probably use this as a pattern for a saw blade holder. So, your thoughts on this application would also be appreciated.

Thanks again for the design and taking up your time to provide me with the dimensions!
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Lodgepole wrote:I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I understand about weather, I spent most of my career working outside. I used to work in Moab in the early 80s on a fire crew. Then I was in Price from 82-87 as a Range Conservationist.

Please let me know if you would have any suggestions on assembly or wish you would have done anything different on this project. I will also probably use this as a pattern for a saw blade holder. So, your thoughts on this application would also be appreciated.

Thanks again for the design and taking up your time to provide me with the dimensions!
My saw blades all have arbors on them so I have the same thing for them. Of course if your blades do not have arbors on them then the distance between slots can be less.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Here are the dimensions. The box is 5" deep and 7 1/2" wide. The height depends on how many disks you have. The length of the slots is 6". The width of the slots for the flat disks is 1/4". The width of the slots for the conical disks is 7/8". The angle is about 45 degrees but is not critical. The only somewhat critical dimension is the distance between the slots. In my case the distance is 3" which gives about 1/2" between the hub on one disk and the plate on the next.

It is made from plain big box store 3/4" plywood that I had. I really wouldn't change anything. It works perfectly. Just make it out of what you have. 1/2" plywood would be more than adequate if that is what you have or you need to go buy the stock.

Happy building. :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Lodgepole
Gold Member

Post by Lodgepole »

Thanks!!!
t28fog
Bronze Member

Post by t28fog »

I pondered the same question while building a cabinet under my SS. My solution was a small shelf for the paper and then drilled holes in the side of the cabinet to store my 2 discs vertically by their arbors.