Value

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

MattD
Bronze Member

Value

Post by MattD »

Hello, I’m trying to see what value you all would think this set up is worth. I don’t know much about Shop Smith but trying to sell for an elder friend of mine that no longer can use. Everything looks in new condition and has covers for each item.

Items include:
Table System model 510R
Band saw
Planer
Jointer
Dust Collector
Belt Sander
Scroll Saw
Wood working bench (never used
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Value

Post by garys »

It is difficult to put a price on used tools like that. Their value will depend heavily on the part of the country you live. Areas where few Shopsmiths are available command much higher prices than areas that have large numbers of them available.
It seems that the areas that have elderly and retired people seem to have more Shopsmiths, and also more of them for sale.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Location, location, location ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
MattD
Bronze Member

Post by MattD »

I live in Oxford Pa 19363.

Thanks,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Check clist in your area.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

It would be more work for you, but the items will almost certainly bring more if sold individually. If you try to sell them all as a bundle, you’re seriously limiting your market.

You can see what prices the individual items might bring by searching for them on eBay, and filtering for “sold items” only. Keep in mind that items will bring more if national shipping is available, because you can reach so many more buyers. But items listed “for local pickup only” are on a fairly level playing field with Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.
MattD
Bronze Member

Post by MattD »

PLEASE SEE PICTURES OF ITEMS. THANK YOU!
w1.jpg
w1.jpg (75.28 KiB) Viewed 77500 times
w2.jpg
w2.jpg (87.34 KiB) Viewed 77500 times
w3.jpg
w3.jpg (63.78 KiB) Viewed 77500 times
w4.jpg
w4.jpg (90.23 KiB) Viewed 77500 times
w5.jpg
w5.jpg (70.3 KiB) Viewed 77500 times
w6.jpg
w6.jpg (57.08 KiB) Viewed 77500 times
w7.jpg
w7.jpg (66.38 KiB) Viewed 77500 times
w8.jpg
w8.jpg (60.47 KiB) Viewed 77500 times
w9.jpg
w9.jpg (67.03 KiB) Viewed 77500 times
w10.jpg
w10.jpg (72.84 KiB) Viewed 77500 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

It all looks to be in very good condition. Where might this treasure be located.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
MattD
Bronze Member

Post by MattD »

Hello, I’m located in Oxford Pennsylvania 19363.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As Dusty said they all look to be in very good condition. The belt sander looks like it may benefit from a little rehab or TLC. I did notice from the serial number/vent plate that it was originally a Mark V with the original table system (AKA 500) made before the Mark V 510 came out and was factory upgraded. That still makes it a Mark V 510 as long as it has the floating tables and connecting tubes/accessories. I agree that if you sell them separately you will expand your group of buyers. Some Shopsmith owners may need only one Single Purpose Tool, like a bandsaw, where other buyers may only be looking for a Mark V to get started. As for what to sell them for that is hard to say. The more complete each item is the more value it has since the buyer doesn't have to replace missing parts. Looking at what they are selling for locally doesn't mean that is what they sold for. Of course you can accept a lower price from an interested buyer.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.