A Facebook Response from Shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: A Facebook Response from Shopsmith

Post by wa2crk »

If they are not TRULY going to do any out of warranty repairs I believe that they should at the very least provide some guidelines for troubleshooting the system. Breaking the seal on the power supply is not a problem for out of warranty repairs.
Bill V
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

wa2crk wrote:If they are not TRULY going to do any out of warranty repairs I believe that they should at the very least provide some guidelines for troubleshooting the system. Breaking the seal on the power supply is not a problem for out of warranty repairs.
Bill V
What would worry me, if I had a PowerPro, is who will provide repair services for those items that go out of warranty and can not be repaired by the typical wood worker?

If no one is providing repair, is there a source from which a replacement item (power supply, control panel, motor, etc) can be purchased?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
wa2crk wrote:If they are not TRULY going to do any out of warranty repairs I believe that they should at the very least provide some guidelines for troubleshooting the system. Breaking the seal on the power supply is not a problem for out of warranty repairs.
Bill V
What would worry me, if I had a PowerPro, is who will provide repair services for those items that go out of warranty and can not be repaired by the typical wood worker?

If no one is providing repair, is there a source from which a replacement item (power supply, control panel, motor, etc) can be purchased?
THE MOTHER SHIP?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:
dusty wrote:
Bill V

THE MOTHER SHIP?
MAYBE...May be not.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
JPG wrote:
dusty wrote:

THE MOTHER SHIP?
MAYBE...May be not.
If NOT where else?????

This does make me nervous 😓.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

beeg wrote:So WHY didn't SS get the tooling back?
I didn't see a response for this question but in my neck of the woods, there aren't a lot of small production machine shops left. Seems to be even fewer experienced machinists left. I've been on the lookout for a small used metal lathe and you'd think I was searching for unobtanium or something. I asked a couple of shops for a quote on a part I was thinking of getting milled for an old tool and it just wasn't worth it. Production runs had to be in the 100's, not 10's & 20's, much less 1.
Paul B
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Some years ago Bill Mayo and I rode to Dayton for one of Nick Englar's owners seminars. Bill was in the process of putting an extra bearing in the quill and was having a hard time finding a machine shop that could maintain a tolerance of +/_ .001"
He finally found someone who could it consistently and that person was a retired guy working in his basement. The trades have suffered severely in this country in the past years.
Bill V
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

moggymatt wrote:
beeg wrote:So WHY didn't SS get the tooling back?
I didn't see a response for this question but in my neck of the woods, there aren't a lot of small production machine shops left. Seems to be even fewer experienced machinists left. I've been on the lookout for a small used metal lathe and you'd think I was searching for unobtanium or something. I asked a couple of shops for a quote on a part I was thinking of getting milled for an old tool and it just wasn't worth it. Production runs had to be in the 100's, not 10's & 20's, much less 1.
It is all about setup time. No one works cheap anymore and if a setup task requires time (time being money) you now have a costly task to get performed.

I have a nephew who owns and used to operate a "full service machine shop". The only work that he is interested in doing now is milling parts for high performance race cars. This work is for people who never ask "How Much" only "When Can You Have It Done"?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This post prodded my curiosity and since I had a way to go on FB from someone else's computer - I did.

Disappointed. I was unable to locate the FB related posts mentioned here. I was particularly interested in the post the reports on the discontinuance of non-warranty repair work. I intended to call Shopsmith for the whole story but I won't do that without reading for myself what has been reported.

Post Script: Disregard. I have come to realize that the Shopsmith Owners Group is a closed group and since I do not use FB...oh well!

I wonder why this Forum does not share the same access. FB rules I would guess.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

Its not FB, it is the way the group leaders decided to set up the group. It provides a method of vetting members before they are given access. The hope is that this will discourage members from pursuing unwanted activities when on the site like we see from time to time on this forum.