A Facebook Response from Shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jle
Gold Member

Re: A Facebook Response from Shopsmith

Post by jle »

Doesn't surprise me. I just ordered a set of the jointer knives that they put on special, and 12 days later I got an email saying that they are on back order for over 3 months. Also, if I want any of the other items I ordered to ship before the backordered item comes in, I have to call them and let them know to send them now.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

So this popped up in a Google search that I did this week for something Shopsmith related. It was too compelling not to click the link. If you read some of the comments, they are quite eye opening. Recently (last year or so), there are quite a few complaints logged, or at least more than I would have expected. Possibly the Facebook group (customer service one) was opened to help address issues and keep them from going to the BBB.

https://www.bbb.org/us/oh/dayton/profil ... complaints
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I want what I want and I want it now.

That is what most of these comments say to me.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote:I want what I want and I want it now.

??? Missing parts from an order, warranty service issues and purchase agreements that aren't honored until a BBB complaint is opened? Seems like more than just an entitled customer to me. For any business to have a dozen or more BBB complaints in one year is not good. It looks like Shopsmith is trying to fix it though, which is good.

P.S. Interesting post this morning from Shopsmith on FB. They are no longer offering repairs on products that are out of warranty.
warranty.jpg
warranty.jpg (23.37 KiB) Viewed 16495 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

RFGuy wrote:

??? Missing parts from an order, warranty service issues and purchase agreements that aren't honored until a BBB complaint is opened? Seems like more than just an entitled customer to me. For any business to have a dozen or more BBB complaints in one year is not good. It looks like Shopsmith is trying to fix it though, which is good.

P.S. Interesting post this morning from Shopsmith on FB. They are no longer offering repairs on products that are out of warranty.
warranty.jpg
+10
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote:

warranty.jpg
And you take all of these comments at face value and then further circulate them.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote:
RFGuy wrote:

warranty.jpg
And you take all of these comments at face value and then further circulate them.
Dusty,

I don't know what I have said here to cause you offense. I was looking something else up online and this link to the BBB just came up. I thought it was noteworthy so I shared it here. I did not say that I took all of the posts at face value, but your willingness to discount them as impatient customers doesn't seem right either. In reading through this forum and some of the FB group recently, there seems to be general consensus that Shopsmith has struggled a bit with customer service and order fulmillment the past year or two. Something those of us waiting on actual orders can attest to. There also seems to be supporters who indicate Shopsmith is making improvements and has had to deal with employee losses, etc. I do give Shopsmith credit for setting up a customer service page on FB and I honestly do believe they are trying to make improvements. Maybe I am naïve, but BBB complaints tend to have a bit more weight for me, than just whether someone goes online (Yelp, FB, this forum, etc.) and complains. The good that I see is that Shopsmith is resolving the BBB complaints, but it shouldn't have to come to that.
📶RF Guy

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

But on the other hand: I recently ordered the plastic lathe face shield that was on sale and I received it in about 7 days. So am I special? Not! I thought service was real good.
Bill V
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

wa2crk wrote:But on the other hand: I recently ordered the plastic lathe face shield that was on sale and I received it in about 7 days. So am I special? Not! I thought service was real good.
Bill V
Bill,

Thanks. I have tried to be fair and balanced with what I say, but maybe that is not always coming across. I too ordered the lathe face shield and other items that have come quickly this year. Some items though are taking a long, long time for me to get. It is painful to get updates on these orders so I can empathize with those that have had it worse than me and have needed to open a BBB claim. From what I understand (based on what others have posted), customer service was much worse last year, but Shopsmith has been trying to turn this around recently, I believe. So my main message is it seems to be a mixed experience out there for anyone who is ordering from Shopsmith recently. Some have had fast order fulmillment and no issues, but others have had some rather difficult problems to deal with. Hoping the trend is toward improvement. Thanks for posting that your experience was a good one. I welcome anyone that has had good luck with Shopsmith orders in the last 6-12 months to post as well to let us know. Again, I only shared this to let others know what is happening. I was shocked when I saw the BBB page, but I want them to turn this around.
📶RF Guy

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

RF Guy
I just wanted to put in a good word. I read some of the BBB posts and one guy was complaining that he did not receive his order for a 1/4-20 screw. Crying out loud, can't he find a hardware store???
Bill V