What does your workbenches look like?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

moggymatt
Platinum Member

Re: What does your workbenches look like?

Post by moggymatt »

[/quote]
I found an old Shopsmith Bench at a Thrift store in Tucson for a $100 no way one could be built for that. I was surprised one of the Arizona boys didn't snap it up.
What I like most is the tail vice it works well an is surprisingly universal. What I don't like about it is the tool tray. I have wasted more epithets on that &%$@###! tool tray than I can count.

By the way it cooled down a little hear it was only 70.5 deg.[/quote]

I've never had a bench with a tool tray. What kind of grief did it give you?
Paul B
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

STB: That is a pretty great bench find for $100...

I am getting ready to add a tool tray to my bench. What don't you like about yours?

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
stickmaker
Gold Member

Post by stickmaker »

Small shop small bench. But works wellfor most of my work which are smaller projects most of the time. And to the right I have my Shop Smith wall.
carving.jpg
carving.jpg (144.62 KiB) Viewed 24785 times
Attachments
SHOP 003.jpg
SHOP 003.jpg (158.75 KiB) Viewed 24785 times
Randy
Simer Fi
WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

Mine is shown below. It's based on the Ultimate tool stand plans from about 20 years ago shown in the link below. I added a butcher block top from Menards.

http://christophermerrill.net/ww/plans/ ... and_1.html

It's on wheels, like almost everything in my shop and from pure dumb luck is about 1/4" lower than the height of my tablesaw so it works perfectly as an outfeed support.

The first picture shows it without the vise.
twistsol_bench1.jpeg
twistsol_bench1.jpeg (127.4 KiB) Viewed 24779 times
Here it is with an inexepnsive vise added and my dovetail jig mounted on it. The holes across the front of the bench have t-nuts installed behind them so I can mount different bench tools without them moving.
twistsol_bench2.jpeg
twistsol_bench2.jpeg (189.06 KiB) Viewed 24779 times
This shows the basic tool mount
bench_tool_mount.jpeg
bench_tool_mount.jpeg (127.5 KiB) Viewed 24779 times
I've built mounts for the following tools:

Ryobi Grinder
Kreg Jig
Kreg Jig Supports x2
Porter Cable dovetail jig
Metal Working Vise
Edge Banding Holder
Lead Came Stretcher
Rigid Belt/Drum Sander
Ryobi Belt/Disc Sander
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

STB wrote:
moggymatt wrote:It's still below freezing in my neck of the woods

Anybody here want to share a picture of their bench and what they like and don't like about yours?
I found an old Shopsmith Bench at a Thrift store in Tucson for a $100 no way one could be built for that. I was surprised one of the Arizona boys didn't snap it up.
What I like most is the tail vice it works well an is surprisingly universal. What I don't like about it is the tool tray. I have wasted more epithets on that &%$@###! tool tray than I can count.

008 (800x600).jpg002 (800x600).jpg

By the way it cooled down a little hear it was only 70.5 deg.
That is a really nice bench for $100. As for the tool tray, why not just fill it in flush with the bench top?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
STB
Gold Member

Post by STB »

[quote="jsburger

That is a really nice bench for $100. As for the tool tray, why not just fill it in flush with the bench top?[/quote]

The bench is 7' long 3 in thick made with beech. I would need to take out a loan to fill the tray. Maybe someday.
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
STB
Gold Member

Post by STB »

robinson46176 wrote:
I am getting ready to add a tool tray to my bench. What don't you like about yours?

I am a more of a do it yourself person and a hobbyist woodworker. I tend to do what it takes to get the job done as appose to a hand tool guy.
The tool tray is a chip and sawdust magnet I am forever cleaning it out. If I drop a screw or something in the tray forgetaboutit.
When I put something on the bench that covers the tray it needs to be moved to access the tray. The tray is forever unorganized I am always rummaging for something. Another thing I miss being able to clamp to both sides of the bench. I snapped a picture of the tool tray this morning to show what I am talking about. The board on the floor to the left with the round paint mark is used to cover the bench for non woodworking projects. I could probably think of more but this is giving me a headache.
001 (800x600).jpg
001 (800x600).jpg (338.41 KiB) Viewed 24642 times
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
WebTraveler13
Bronze Member

Post by WebTraveler13 »

My work place is well organized! :cool:

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

WebTraveler13 wrote:My work place is well organized! :cool:

Your shop is really popular, when I did an image search it appears a lot of places, must be proud of that and the shop.

Noticed that you are lacking any shopsmith gear or is that just not shown it the photo?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

Here's mine, it's a Shopsmith from the early 90s. Had a choice back then, either a Sawsmith or Workbench. Made the right choice! The Harbor Freight Tool cabinet and chest are full of hand tools such as hand planes, block planes etc. I know, I'm supposed to make a beautiful solid wood tool chest suitable for the cover of Fine Woodworking...Maybe someday but I pulled this shop up from the studs to insulated/vapor barrier/dry wall/texture/paint. Rebuilt a SS 500 from a box to a shorty (all new bearings even the motor)

It's time for projects!
Attachments
P1050305.JPG
P1050305.JPG (140 KiB) Viewed 24031 times
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!