V-belt replacement

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

roneg
Gold Member

Re: V-belt replacement

Post by roneg »

Are we looking at the same postings JPG?
"The older I get..The better I was"
roneg
Gold Member

Post by roneg »

roneg wrote:
Couple of things I noticed, with the parts exposed upon motor removal. The switch wires have been coming in contact with some moving object (rubed through insulation)..I'm guessing Main belt. Is there some diagram, or routing..wire clip, or suggestions? Also since there is no color coding on my motor wires, and none on the pig tail what is the proper way to wire the (new switch), to motor? I will be installing a new/used pigtail with quick dis-connect connectors Blk, Wht, Grn also.
Found this pix in the "google Drive" Buying a used shopsmith.

I have seen no other reference to it it's not in the parts explode.
Attachments
wire clip.JPG
wire clip.JPG (72.6 KiB) Viewed 12540 times
roneg
Gold Member

Post by roneg »

There is actually a clip that attaches to one of the control quadrant screws. I don't see it on the parts explode. I noticed it on a 1989 machine I just bought. Anyone know the part number?

I could try and "jimmy rig" something, but prefer the OEM item.

Thanks,
Ron
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

There is no vintage accurate item. I would 'settle' for using plastic cable tie(s). That 'clip' was a thin piece of aluminum with a slot in one end for the other end to be inserted after wrapping around the wires. I consider the plastic wire ties to be an improvement.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
roneg
Gold Member

Post by roneg »

Hum..that would serve to gather them together but not much in the way of keeping them away from moving parts.
The newer model 510 has a retainer clip that seems to screw in along with one of the three speed control assembly screws..thereby pinning the wires to the side and away from afore mentioned moving parts. Have no clue what the part number is.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Cable ties with a mounting hole do exist. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
roneg
Gold Member

Post by roneg »

Oh yes, of course..some reason my mind went to standard "wire ties". Sorry JPG. That was actually a brilliant suggestion. Sometimes..the simplest things elude me! :eek:
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

roneg wrote:Oh yes, of course..some reason my mind went to standard "wire ties". Sorry JPG. That was actually a brilliant suggestion. Sometimes..the simplest things elude me! :eek:
Totally reasonable and completely understandable. ;)

Now about another pix? This 'issue' bugs me. I do not like things I do not completely understand.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

JPG wrote:... I do not like things I do not completely understand.
Then I must assume that you don't like women! :D
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:
JPG wrote:... I do not like things I do not completely understand.
Then I must assume that you don't like women! :D
Touche!

In that case it is a part time thingie. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝