New Kreg adaptive cutting system

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: New Kreg adaptive cutting system

Post by reible »

I was out at my local Rockler store yesterday and they do not have one of these setup to look at nor a stock at this point. Not sure if they will have a demo machine in the future?? Anyway still no eyes on the product for me.

If I had gotten an earlier start I could have also gone to the Woodcraft but I was already running late by the time I got done at Rockler. To many other things to look at so even a quick trip takes me 20 to 30 minutes in the store.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:And now Bosch has entered the track-saw fray. Priced even highed than Festool!

Bosch track saw.jpg

https://www.protoolreviews.com/trades/c ... ion/43504/

I was all over the Bosch site last evening. They show the saw and various tracks but as of last night there were no places to purchase or any prices listed. It seems to me that Bosch is trying to place itself in the high end (high price) segment of the field. I had a tile guy that swore by Bosch, he willingly paid more for Bosch tools because he felt that they were so superior to all the other tools. Watching him buy tools he did always put his money where his mouth was and always bought Bosch.
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

I used to be a big fan of Bosch and owned a lot of their tools until I got a couple of Festools. They are in a different class. The only caveat is that they may be changing due to the competition. My last Bosch purchase was a few years ago.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

I stopped by the OKC Woodcraft last weekend. They had a Kreg system set up. The table seems very well built, nearly rock solid and far sturdier than the Festool MFT which, at least their display model, is about as stable as a card table. I wasn't impressed with the way the track lifted, but that is likely due to my experience with Eurekazone bridge system and track. The aluminum dogs seemed well machined and anodized. Didn't have time to evaluate the other accessories as I was off to another part of town.

I'm not sure if this is something I'll get or not, but definitely gives me ideas for building something similar, maybe using my 510 as a base.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
jle
Gold Member

Post by jle »

When it comes to track saws, I honestly don't think you can beat this Makita deal:

https://www.toolnut.com/power-tools/cor ... w-kit.html

I have this system, as well as the corded Festool TS55, and although I love both of them, I reach for the Makita more often than not because of the cordless convenience. I have not found any difference in the quality between the two (build quality or cut quality). For $500 you get the saw, a track, a charger and four batteries, as well as a systainer type case for the saw and one for the charger. The batteries last a long time before they need to be recharged. I can use the tracks with both systems, as they are interchangeable. Anyway, just my two cents.
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

The current, May issue of Wood Magazine, agrees with you ranking this Makita track saw above Festool's.

But just to round out the options here is a very low cost option from MLCS that also gets good reviews.

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsit ... hlight=saw
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

jle wrote:When it comes to track saws, I honestly don't think you can beat this Makita deal:

https://www.toolnut.com/power-tools/cor ... w-kit.html

I have this system, as well as the corded Festool TS55, and although I love both of them, I reach for the Makita more often than not because of the cordless convenience. I have not found any difference in the quality between the two (build quality or cut quality). For $500 you get the saw, a track, a charger and four batteries, as well as a systainer type case for the saw and one for the charger. The batteries last a long time before they need to be recharged. I can use the tracks with both systems, as they are interchangeable. Anyway, just my two cents.
I have the corded Makita, which I really like. When the cordless version came out, I was tempted to sell my corded one and buy the cordless. But after thinking about it, I always have a vacuum hose hooked up anyway, and so I didn’t see a big advantage to eliminating the power cord.

Do you find the cordless to be more convenient even when using a vacuum hose?
jle
Gold Member

Post by jle »

I tend to cut on a sheet of foam on the ground outside, so I rarely bother hooking up a vacuum. One thing I like about my Festool is that I have a dust collection bag that was designed to fit it's cordless version, but also works with the corded one. The bag keeps the dust from spreading out all over. I haven't checked to see if Makita has this option.
stevesmith1039
Bronze Member

Post by stevesmith1039 »

I agree with you. Bosch products are somehow overprice but I don't think quality wise they are inferior.
Even if there are many companies which are offering great type of battery string trimmers, Botch is still in huge demand.
dcottrill
Gold Member

Post by dcottrill »

I own several of their tools. It started when my trusty skill saw was dropped from the roof to the concrete garage floor. It was time for a new one. I walked into the local tool store and he let me demo the Festool track saw, guide rail and Rotex on a MFT with the dust collector connected. I bought them all on the spot. No questions asked. I could work in the kitchen with my wife making dinner the dust collection was that good. I could take finished cuts from the track saw and glue up panels or cut finished dimension panels out of plywood with no need to go to the table saw or join an edge with a hand plan or jointer. My wife couldn't believe that I could work with so little saw dust and mess. It was a game changer. It saves me time and sells jobs for me. Customers can't believe how neat and clean I am. It really is the tools.

There are more robust tools on the market. The Festool track saw would be destroyed by the same fall that destroyed my first saw. That said; I would be buy another one to replace it. In my opinion the sanders, track saw, Kapex miter saw, routers and domino are the game changers when pared with the track and the dust collection. Oh and the dry wall sander the Planex. The MFT at the current price is a hard one to justify. I like the Paul Pluk designed work table and it is liter in weight and can be modified/designed to meet your needs.

The Pluk workbench is one that you make from his plans or if you look at it you could develop your own plans. It was quicker for me to just use his. His design with a few of my own modifications works well. I can store my tools under the top work surface out of the way. It even looks cleaner and neater (in my opinion) than the MFT. When a customer ask where I got it I can tell them I built it. It communicates to the customer that I'm skilled.

Back to robustness. I think that DeWalt or one of the other manufactures have stronger drills. I seem to be going to my DeWalt drill and impact a lot more than the Festool. The festool is great for fine cabinet work and the different chucks are very nice when needed. It comes in when I'm finishing. The DeWalt is by my side for the heavy work.

Today, there are many companies that are addressing the dust collection issue that are less expensive. It is a personal choice and the cost of the tools have to fit your budget. If I was just starting out today, I would more than likely start the same way, with a budget kit from Home Depote or Lowes.

Also - No-one touches my tools! When the rule is violated that is when I find my tools broken.