phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

38 posts 1 2 3 4

Re: New Kreg adaptive cutting system

#258014 by reible » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:03 pm

I was out at my local Rockler store yesterday and they do not have one of these setup to look at nor a stock at this point. Not sure if they will have a demo machine in the future?? Anyway still no eyes on the product for me.

If I had gotten an earlier start I could have also gone to the Woodcraft but I was already running late by the time I got done at Rockler. To many other things to look at so even a quick trip takes me 20 to 30 minutes in the store.

Ed

---

{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

#258029 by Ed in Tampa » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:18 am

BuckeyeDennis wrote:And now Bosch has entered the track-saw fray. Priced even highed than Festool!

Bosch track saw.jpg

https://www.protoolreviews.com/trades/c ... ion/43504/

I was all over the Bosch site last evening. They show the saw and various tracks but as of last night there were no places to purchase or any prices listed. It seems to me that Bosch is trying to place itself in the high end (high price) segment of the field. I had a tile guy that swore by Bosch, he willingly paid more for Bosch tools because he felt that they were so superior to all the other tools. Watching him buy tools he did always put his money where his mouth was and always bought Bosch.

#258031 by sehast » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:42 pm

I used to be a big fan of Bosch and owned a lot of their tools until I got a couple of Festools. They are in a different class. The only caveat is that they may be changing due to the competition. My last Bosch purchase was a few years ago.

#258036 by roy_okc » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:12 pm

I stopped by the OKC Woodcraft last weekend. They had a Kreg system set up. The table seems very well built, nearly rock solid and far sturdier than the Festool MFT which, at least their display model, is about as stable as a card table. I wasn't impressed with the way the track lifted, but that is likely due to my experience with Eurekazone bridge system and track. The aluminum dogs seemed well machined and anodized. Didn't have time to evaluate the other accessories as I was off to another part of town.

I'm not sure if this is something I'll get or not, but definitely gives me ideas for building something similar, maybe using my 510 as a base.

---

Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:

#258037 by jle » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:52 pm

When it comes to track saws, I honestly don't think you can beat this Makita deal:

https://www.toolnut.com/power-tools/cor ... w-kit.html

I have this system, as well as the corded Festool TS55, and although I love both of them, I reach for the Makita more often than not because of the cordless convenience. I have not found any difference in the quality between the two (build quality or cut quality). For $500 you get the saw, a track, a charger and four batteries, as well as a systainer type case for the saw and one for the charger. The batteries last a long time before they need to be recharged. I can use the tracks with both systems, as they are interchangeable. Anyway, just my two cents.

#258039 by sehast » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:38 pm

The current, May issue of Wood Magazine, agrees with you ranking this Makita track saw above Festool's.

But just to round out the options here is a very low cost option from MLCS that also gets good reviews.

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsit ... hlight=saw

#258044 by BuckeyeDennis » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:34 pm

jle wrote:When it comes to track saws, I honestly don't think you can beat this Makita deal:

https://www.toolnut.com/power-tools/cor ... w-kit.html

I have this system, as well as the corded Festool TS55, and although I love both of them, I reach for the Makita more often than not because of the cordless convenience. I have not found any difference in the quality between the two (build quality or cut quality). For $500 you get the saw, a track, a charger and four batteries, as well as a systainer type case for the saw and one for the charger. The batteries last a long time before they need to be recharged. I can use the tracks with both systems, as they are interchangeable. Anyway, just my two cents.

I have the corded Makita, which I really like. When the cordless version came out, I was tempted to sell my corded one and buy the cordless. But after thinking about it, I always have a vacuum hose hooked up anyway, and so I didn’t see a big advantage to eliminating the power cord.

Do you find the cordless to be more convenient even when using a vacuum hose?

#258045 by jle » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:39 pm

I tend to cut on a sheet of foam on the ground outside, so I rarely bother hooking up a vacuum. One thing I like about my Festool is that I have a dust collection bag that was designed to fit it's cordless version, but also works with the corded one. The bag keeps the dust from spreading out all over. I haven't checked to see if Makita has this option.