V-belt replacement

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

roneg
Gold Member

Re: V-belt replacement

Post by roneg »

I have a pic of the motor pan. But can't figure out how to upload it from my android picture gallery! It won't attach,and I see no error message.
"The older I get..The better I was"
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

roneg wrote:I have a pic of the motor pan. But can't figure out how to upload it from my android picture gallery! It won't attach,and I see no error message.
Since I tore into mine, I do not think I need it.

Now my belt at fast(riding ABOVE the outer rim) clears the way tube by about 1/4".

i.e. It does NOT interfere?????

I am wondering IF the control sheave is not open as much as it should. But that would lead to suspicion of belt length etc..
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
roneg
Gold Member

Post by roneg »

All the post I have read and videos say to set the high speed or 5200 rpm the belt should be running at one sixteenth to one eighth inch below the motor sheve. In what condition would the main belt run in the higher position you describe?
roneg
Gold Member

Post by roneg »

I bought the belt from Jacob Anderson. They must be working on others.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

roneg wrote:All the post I have read and videos say to set the high speed or 5200 rpm the belt should be running at one sixteenth to one eighth inch below the motor sheve. In what condition would the main belt run in the higher position you describe?
"MY" procedure is to set the high speed adjustment so the belt rides the same on the motor pulley at fast as it rides on the idler pulley at slow. I feel that evens out any things that are 'weird'. The idler pulley limits the range of adjustment available(the motor pulley merely responds to that so as to maintain belt tension). I think the belt is slightly 'narrow' since it is an off the shelf automotive belt.

As I mentioned the headstock is not 'standard' since it has poly-v stuff and a non-standard belt as well as an altered motor mount. FWIW the motor is also reversible. The poly-v belt tension(eccentric setting) is set near 7 oclock(new belt). That makes the motor offset less that if the eccentric was adjusted for increased tension(towards 9 oclock).

I will review this thread so as to maybe solve the mystery. Something is being overlooked. Not tonight!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The eccentric does alter the position of the idler shaft but I seriously doubt enough to cause the belt to rub the tubes. My eccentric is set at about 7 o'clock.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Upon reviewing this entire thread, no flash of inspiration occurred.

The Jacob belt, though not 'oem' dimensions(?), I agree should be close enough and not cause this tube rubbing problem.

I am actually back to what I said above re the control sheave not opening sufficiently to move the belt away from the way tube.(as the belt moves towards the outer rim of the motor pulley[closer to the way tube], the control sheave should be opening).

That is not satisfactory since it earlier it appeared the idler pulley was TOO FAR open causing he belt twisting in side out.

I am left only with suspicion re the assembly of the idler shaft etc..

We have not examined it closely(no pix). There is also the concern re the Gilmer belt riding too far to the rear.

So I think the next step is to take a close look at the idler shaft etc. from the quadrant loop to the external shaft.

It was mentioned earlier the PO had the motor 'rebuilt'. I do not think that has any relevance to this problem.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

roneg
Gold Member

Post by roneg »

ImageImageImage
roneg
Gold Member

Post by roneg »

Went down to the shop took these pics. Might help I duno.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Take another showing the idler sheave and back towards the rear end of the idler shaft. Should show idler sheave, gilmer pulley/belt and casting with retaining clips.

I notice a couple of things(not necessarily related to belt problem).

The casting is fractured and apparently a piece is resting on the quill in the first pix.

The seal material from the idler bearing is coming loose?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝