Caster Upgrade

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Caster Upgrade

Post by everettdavis »

If I interpreted your location correctly, you appear to be very near Portland, Oregon.

You can try John W. Negus Co. in Portland. https://www.johnwnegus.com/

You could take them a caster and let them closely match it to what you are wanting to do. 12007 NE Marx St, Portland, OR 97220 They are in building 5 They've been in business for 70 years and can probably help you find a caster that meets your needs well.

Otherwise, if that is not your location, find a bearing and caster supply house near you.

Everett
amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

everettdavis wrote:If I interpreted your location correctly, you appear to be very near Portland, Oregon.

You can try John W. Negus Co. in Portland. https://www.johnwnegus.com/

You could take them a caster and let them closely match it to what you are wanting to do. 12007 NE Marx St, Portland, OR 97220 They are in building 5 They've been in business for 70 years and can probably help you find a caster that meets your needs well.

Otherwise, if that is not your location, find a bearing and caster supply house near you.

Everett
Thanks Everett. They are about 10 miles from me. I will check them out.
Shopsmith 10E S/N 5804 restored.
Shopsmith 10ER S/N R39267; purchased 10-10-50 in San Francisco.
Bruce Brenner
http://www.vintagepbks.com/shopsmith.html
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Do let us know what you end up with! :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

JPG wrote:Do let us know what you end up with! :cool:
Went to John W. Negus Co. yesterday and purchased a nice set of casters for my 10ER. Made by Allgood in Canada, they were only $5.50 each. Part number AG-SO803-437SX1. Post length is 1 7/16". Shopsmith post length is 1 11/16". So this post is only 1/4" shorter than stock. Wheels are made of hard rubber. Salesman said they were rated at 80 pounds each.
Installed and ready to go. Thanks again Everett!
Attachments
casters.jpg
casters.jpg (137.2 KiB) Viewed 15798 times
Bruce Brenner
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Thank You for posting that 'solution'.

We must realize we be altering the original design intentions.

I think the solution above is an improvement.

The original design had a ball end on the caster stem that rode in a similarly shaped socket at the bottom of the piston bore. That provided the bearing of the weight and required some grease to lubricate as well as rotation bearing.

The 'solution' above has a shorter stem that makes the shape of the new stem moot.

The 'solution' has the bearing race that supports the weight from the lower end of the piston directly to the caster frame.

Only unanswered question is the resultant height(piston lower end to the floor in all three cam positions).

P.S. I like the quality spring retaining clip as opposed to those cheap brass(?) 'things'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

All three cam positions work perfectly. The 2" profile on the new caster is the same as the old caster.
The hard rubber wheels does not move as easy as the old steel wheels. That is the only difference I have found so far.
Machine still pushes fine though. :)
Bruce Brenner
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

amboyna wrote:All three cam positions work perfectly. The 2" profile on the new caster is the same as the old caster.
The hard rubber wheels does not move as easy as the old steel wheels. That is the only difference I have found so far.
What is thy definition of 'perfectly'? ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

JPG wrote:
amboyna wrote:All three cam positions work perfectly. The 2" profile on the new caster is the same as the old caster.
What is thy definition of 'perfectly'? ;)
Perhaps perfectly was not the right word to use. Here are photos showing what I have with the new casters on. In the half up position (not shown) the base does scrape a little on the concrete. Several factors may be involved. Broom finish on the concrete. An extra 100 Lbs. from a drawer and tools. Or maybe the fact that the wheels are hard rubber, not steel.
Attachments
Caster_01.jpg
Caster_01.jpg (66.57 KiB) Viewed 15727 times
Caster_03.jpg
Caster_03.jpg (75.15 KiB) Viewed 15727 times
Bruce Brenner
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think a washer or two will make it closer to 'perfect'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

JPG wrote:I think a washer or two will make it closer to 'perfect'.
Never thought of that. Thanks. I will give it a try.
Bruce Brenner