Conical and Disc sander

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

putttn
Gold Member

Conical and Disc sander

Post by putttn »

Had to downsize and sold my SS but kept my Conical and Sisc sander plates. Has anyone mounted these on a separate electric motor. I’m really space challenged but do have some space on one cabinet. Not sure what the hp or rom would need to be.
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Conical and Disc sander

Post by garys »

When I do sanding, I like to keep rpms low. Since standard motors run either 1725 or 3450 rpm, either one would likely be faster than ideal. You might be best setting it up with a pulley and belt arrangement so you can change speed if needed.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The best way to use them is with a shopsmith. Besides typical motors running a lot faster then you want you also need a squared table to put the work pieces on. In a lot of cases it better to move the disk to the wood rather then the wood to the disk which is why having a quill feed helps so much. Like wise the conical disks wants a tilted table to work from. Then there is dust collection, they sure can add a lot of dust to the air and without some way of catching it...... well you get the idea. And a fence and or miter gauge lets you maintain control for other operations.......

Had you thought about making a shorty out of the shopsmith? That can take up a lot less space then a full size unit and still let you have all the necessary parts to make a system out of it. So perhaps you might see if any shop arrangement might work out that way and shop for another shopsmith?

The other option is to sell the disks and use those funds to help pay for a bench top version sander, as an example of what the lower end buys check this page:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-120-V ... lsrc=aw.ds

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

I only have a small amount of space on top of a cabinet. I wish I had more. I want the conical disc more than the flat disc. I have two of each. I thought about an10er mounted verticle with short tubes. I’m on the hunt for one of those.
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

Does anyone know the weight of a 10er without the wood base? I’ve located one on CL.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

putttn wrote:Does anyone know the weight of a 10er without the wood base? I’ve located one on CL.
HEAVY! :D

I do not have precise knowledge, but with all tables attached etc. it is more than 100 and likely less than 200. However not everything need be attached while transporting. The motor will be a significant contributor.

It could be awkward to handle. 4 hands would be helpful.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

putttn wrote:Does anyone know the weight of a 10er without the wood base? I’ve located one on CL.
Russ Chapman recently adressed that question over at this post.
putttn
Gold Member

Post by putttn »

Thank you for the link.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Since you read my post on weight you can see that it is not that cost effective to have one shipped. I would recommend finding one locally. I find the ones I buy on craigslist. Unfortunately the only one near you is in Moscow ID for $350 and is about what I would sell that one for after I restored it. Patience may get you a Model 10 at a good price close to you. If you are willing to go for a drive to to get one expand you search. I am in the Portland Oregon area and regularly see them come up for sale within a few hours drive from me.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

There is a 10ER, in Spokane, recently listed for free on the Shopsmith 10E & 10ER's Facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,