Caster Upgrade

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

amboyna
Gold Member

Caster Upgrade

Post by amboyna »

I'm looking to upgrade the original casters for my 10ER. I have a set of Mark 5 casters, which is a slight upgrade. But I'm looking for a set with ball bearings between the wheel bracket and the post.
I have seen the Shepherd caster guide posted by Everett. It shows a 1 3/8" stem, which is shorter than the 1 3/4" it should be.
Yesterday I went to Motion Industries and found a Colson Caster. But the post is only 1". How critical is the post length. And lastly, where can I purchase a high quality set of casters.
Shopsmith 10E S/N 5804 restored.
Shopsmith 10ER S/N R39267; purchased 10-10-50 in San Francisco.
Bruce Brenner
http://www.vintagepbks.com/shopsmith.html
br549
Platinum Member

Re: Caster Upgrade

Post by br549 »

When I shopped for caster upgrades, I found the entire Shepherd catalog (available online) to be a good place to start. They have several product lines, mounting methods, etc. A slightly shorter stem should not matter, but not sure if 3/8" is too much. Have you verified the weight of your machine? Each caster will have recommended maximum load, and within a product line, that will vary with wheel material type. Once you settle on brand, style, etc, then look at ebay, Amazon, etc. and prepare to do more research and comparison, as not all descriptions that I found were accurate.
PhilSC
Gold Member

Post by PhilSC »

I got a set of casters with ball bearings from Grainger. Rated for 75 pounds each, and I didn’t have to drill any new mounting holes in the legs, and the shafts fit perfectly in the sleeves. I’ll post the part numbers later, if you like.
amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

PhilSC wrote:I got a set of casters with ball bearings from Grainger. Rated for 75 pounds each, and I didn’t have to drill any new mounting holes in the legs, and the shafts fit perfectly in the sleeves. I’ll post the part numbers later, if you like.
Yes, please post a part number. Thanks in advance.
Bruce Brenner
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I have been asked “What is the weight of a Model 10?” It is hard to say since revisions made to the parts from 1947 to 1953 also changed the weight. Several parts had their mass reduced such as the Base Plate. Others changed to lighter materials like Aluminum vs. Cast Iron as was done with the Headrest and the weight changed from 14 to 7 pounds in the parts lists. Way Tubes had their weight reduced by almost half when they were changed from 1/4” to 1/8” thick walls. It is safe to say a basic Model 10E from 1947 is heavier than a basic 1953 10ER. The Montgomery Ward catalog around 1949 - 1950 with a later 10E (metal extension table) lists the weight with a motor as 205 pounds. The ½ HP motor is listed as 35 pounds. That weight includes the original accessories (sanding disk, arbors, fence, etc.) included when purchasing the basic unit. Now add the weight of the bench plus caster assemblies and anything else that is on the bench when moving. 75 pound rated casters may be able to handle it but I believe they will wear out quickly. I would recommend a higher rated castor.

As for the length of the castor's mounting shaft, it is important for the original style castors since they "ride" on the end of the shaft. Ball bearing swivel castors can have the sleeve riding on the top of the ball bearing swivels plate so the shaft can be shorter.

One more thing to consider is the height of the castor from the floor to the top of the ball bearing's swivel plate compared to the original castors. if it is different you will have to drill new holes in the bench ends to adjust the height of the castor assembly.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
PhilSC
Gold Member

Post by PhilSC »

https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAING ... ivel-3A787

This is a link to the Grainger casters I installed on my first "project" MkV. I had to compress the brass fittings near the top of the shaft with channellocks to make them fit inside the sleeves, but that was easy. I put the MkV back together, and the casters clear the ground in the up position, so no need for new holes .The Grainger item number is 3A787, if the link doesn't work.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

OK, now how far off the ground are the legs when cranked to the first and second stop?

Is the bottom of the piston bearing on the shoulder, or are the stems bottoming out in the piston bores.

One concern I would have is the lack of the spherical(ball) shaped end on the stem.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

PhilSC wrote:https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAING ... ivel-3A787

This is a link to the Grainger casters I installed on my first "project" MkV. I had to compress the brass fittings near the top of the shaft with channellocks to make them fit inside the sleeves, but that was easy. I put the MkV back together, and the casters clear the ground in the up position, so no need for new holes .The Grainger item number is 3A787, if the link doesn't work.
A 1-3/8" stem length would probably work fine. But I am going to keep searching for the exact replacement size. What's crazy is I bought a set many years ago from a machine shop in Buhl Idaho that matched all the specs. They cost $11 each. Don't plan on driving 550 miles to buy another set. :D
Bruce Brenner
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

JPG wrote:Something wrong with these???
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... caster.htm
Yes. Looking for a set that has ball bearings between the stem and wheel bracket. And maybe a wheel made from better material. Like rubber or Polyolefin.
I have a set of the Shopsmith casters you linked. The wheels appear to be hard plastic. Stem is right though.
Bruce Brenner