New Kreg adaptive cutting system

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sehast
Gold Member

Re: New Kreg adaptive cutting system

Post by sehast »

They have the Las Vegas show every two years and I have gone to two of them. The first one was great. Got to see many new vender ideas that have yet to come to market. At least 50% of the show emphasized tools that most woodworkers would use and could afford to buy. The last one I went to was dominated by the big CNC machine guys and I found few booths to be relevant or of interest to me. I am still on the fence as to whether I will attend this year.
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

I’ve been to a few trade shows over the decades; COMDEX (computers), SEMA (car parts) and the first time is always amazing. So many new things. The second time is less thrilling and those after that are generally just to meet with certain people, make deals and leave.
As Sehast wrote, these later ones generally have a theme and the last few decades are aimed at big buyers. It cost huge amounts to have a booth at the Las Vegas Convention Center (or annexes). Personnel are at a show rather than the company offices, moving from shops to the show and back new and often unreliable products to demonstrate, and a very distracted audience with so many vendors trying to get a buyers attention. Because of the costs, small innovative companies are seldom there. The internet has more to offer for information and at a significantly reduced cost. Those are some of the reasons to NOT go.
HOWEVER.... at least once, if you can, you should visit a big trade show. The world of wood show in Atlanta is more about bigger companies selling to big box stores and large corporations, but there are amazing sights. The Las Vegas show is smaller and has more toys aimed at us, but it still has a goal of selling large orders to large companies. A dozen plus years ago you could buy all the floor demo models at about half the cost of new. They would rather sell them instead of boxing them back up and shipping back to their factory. My only other cost was paying the dock workers at the show who were paid to load the merchandise whether you wanted it or not.😳🤬. I haven’t been in a while but those who keep going talk about fewer and fewer small companies, fewer and fewer freebies and more pressure to buy there at the show, even for products not yet released. I’m going this summer because I do have a specific group of vendors I want to see and find out what I can about next generation digitally controlled products. I also have a few choice words for some of the executives at a couple companies. They will be there and though they won’t give a rats ass about what I tell them, those around them will become “better informed “ as to policies in their company. 😤🤨
Ticket prices aren’t very much, but are half price before the first of the year and some times you can get a friend a ticket for free. When you go, get your legs and core muscles in shape and have VERY comfortable shoes! Or you can be lazy me and rent an electric scooter 😁
I think I’ve hijcked enough of this thread.

Be well,
Ben
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I'll cover just a few things about Festool from my perspective. First I'm sure it is the festool green that is the reason people by these tools.

OK kidding aside, I have grown my festool collection each year since I got the bug. This year I've gotten a Kapex and will add at least one more of their sanders. I'm also looking at the MFT extension:
https://www.festoolproducts.com/power-t ... -1000.html

It is pretty likely just about all the major festools for this year but hey there is always next year.

I started out not being a fan of tools mostly due to the cost. Some people buy a Chevy, or a Buick and still others a Cadillac. I've never been a Cadillac kind of guy. Like wise I like nice tools but I've mostly gotten more modestly priced ones. So why in the world would I buy in to to Festool?

I was curious and Woodcraft has them on display and you can get your hands on them for touch and feel. I liked what I saw but, well there is always the cost. I watched more youtube videos and the looked at the catalog I picked up at the store. I went back a couple of times checking out various features that I either read about or saw videos on.

I found that one of the guys at the Woodcraft was into festool stuff and he was kind enough to spend a good deal of time with me. The more I saw, the more I read, the more we talked the more I like what they had.

For me I always try to make up a tool budget for the year (Nov thru Nov) so I added the guide saw system and the MFT to my list. Since I had taken up so much time with the sales guy I decided to pickup the stuff at their store. Having an actual user helped with the "details".

Once I got to using the tools I simple wanted more and more.

So what makes it so nice? A lot of things. For one I have several brands of sanders, as well as type of sanders, and almost as many vacuum hose sizes needed. So I put out the PC and its hose, the Bosch and its hose, the Hitachi and its hose....... Now I want to use a circular saw and its hose.... Festool, one hose that fits all.

Now some people question the plug-it cord. I have Milwaukee and guess what, they have the same thing. Never hear anyone question that? So why is that so cool? Well lets say your cord has a fault, or the cord cracks near the strain relieve, how long does it take you to fix it? You get out the book, find the cord to order, wait for it to arrive, take the tool apart to get at the wiring, put the new cord on, put the tool back together..... or simply unplug the cord and put the new one on. And you can keep a spare on hand since they are only two version and the heavy duty one works for any of the tools so just one spare is needed.

The other thing is that the cord can be unplugged at the tool, so you don't take a chance you got the right cord back at the outlet box and you don't have to go to the outlet box to do anything, you can do it at the tool. Routers and saws and just about anything else really should be unplugged when you are working on it, bit or blade changes etc.

So now lets take the fact that we have both a cord and a vacuum hose that is universal, mmmm does that mean that you can pull them off the saw and put them on the router and get back to work, it sure does, and right at the tool.

As for that video about plastic in the saw, well I'd be shocked if you took apart any saw in the last some year that wasn't a large part made of plastic. The question is does it have a proven record of holding up? Sensationalism more then fact, I saw it and was deeply sadden that that might turn a few away from a very good tool. Rest assured he knows a whole lot less then he wants to think he does.

OK getting long but just one more topic, Systainer, the often misunderstood tool case. I have a whole shelf of mix size tool containers. I can't stack them, I can't make a pile of them, I can't put them together to carry without have 4 arms and 8 hands. But if you have systainers you have uniformity and yes they stack, they connect and yes you can move them about like that. Most tools come with one and it's designed to fit the tool, to protect it and not have it ratting around. They have labels which are all located in uniform locations so finding what you want is pretty easy, I must have at least 10 black containers of similar size and shape none of which came with a label, how handy is that?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

How does this compare with the Shopsmith version?
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

In a Rockler email today I saw that they are selling the Kreg system so we might find them in stores soon. If so those close to Rockler stores can do their own hands on exam.

Ed
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote:I'll cover just a few things about Festool from my perspective. First I'm sure it is the festool green that is the reason people by these tools.

OK kidding aside, I have grown my festool collection each year since I got the bug. This year I've gotten a Kapex and will add at least one more of their sanders. I'm also looking at the MFT extension:
https://www.festoolproducts.com/power-t ... -1000.html

It is pretty likely just about all the major festools for this year but hey there is always next year.

I started out not being a fan of tools mostly due to the cost. Some people buy a Chevy, or a Buick and still others a Cadillac. I've never been a Cadillac kind of guy. Like wise I like nice tools but I've mostly gotten more modestly priced ones. So why in the world would I buy in to to Festool?

I was curious and Woodcraft has them on display and you can get your hands on them for touch and feel. I liked what I saw but, well there is always the cost. I watched more youtube videos and the looked at the catalog I picked up at the store. I went back a couple of times checking out various features that I either read about or saw videos on.

I found that one of the guys at the Woodcraft was into festool stuff and he was kind enough to spend a good deal of time with me. The more I saw, the more I read, the more we talked the more I like what they had.

For me I always try to make up a tool budget for the year (Nov thru Nov) so I added the guide saw system and the MFT to my list. Since I had taken up so much time with the sales guy I decided to pickup the stuff at their store. Having an actual user helped with the "details".

Once I got to using the tools I simple wanted more and more.

So what makes it so nice? A lot of things. For one I have several brands of sanders, as well as type of sanders, and almost as many vacuum hose sizes needed. So I put out the PC and its hose, the Bosch and its hose, the Hitachi and its hose....... Now I want to use a circular saw and its hose.... Festool, one hose that fits all.

Now some people question the plug-it cord. I have Milwaukee and guess what, they have the same thing. Never hear anyone question that? So why is that so cool? Well lets say your cord has a fault, or the cord cracks near the strain relieve, how long does it take you to fix it? You get out the book, find the cord to order, wait for it to arrive, take the tool apart to get at the wiring, put the new cord on, put the tool back together..... or simply unplug the cord and put the new one on. And you can keep a spare on hand since they are only two version and the heavy duty one works for any of the tools so just one spare is needed.

The other thing is that the cord can be unplugged at the tool, so you don't take a chance you got the right cord back at the outlet box and you don't have to go to the outlet box to do anything, you can do it at the tool. Routers and saws and just about anything else really should be unplugged when you are working on it, bit or blade changes etc.

So now lets take the fact that we have both a cord and a vacuum hose that is universal, mmmm does that mean that you can pull them off the saw and put them on the router and get back to work, it sure does, and right at the tool.

As for that video about plastic in the saw, well I'd be shocked if you took apart any saw in the last some year that wasn't a large part made of plastic. The question is does it have a proven record of holding up? Sensationalism more then fact, I saw it and was deeply sadden that that might turn a few away from a very good tool. Rest assured he knows a whole lot less then he wants to think he does.

OK getting long but just one more topic, Systainer, the often misunderstood tool case. I have a whole shelf of mix size tool containers. I can't stack them, I can't make a pile of them, I can't put them together to carry without have 4 arms and 8 hands. But if you have systainers you have uniformity and yes they stack, they connect and yes you can move them about like that. Most tools come with one and it's designed to fit the tool, to protect it and not have it ratting around. They have labels which are all located in uniform locations so finding what you want is pretty easy, I must have at least 10 black containers of similar size and shape none of which came with a label, how handy is that?

Ed
Thanks Ed for the thorough post. I will definitely have to consider Festool in the future. The price has been a big barrier to overcome, so I have been holding back. However based on the feedback of several of you on the forum here, I will take a closer look in the future. I don't know that the Domino is in my immediate future, but would sure like to have one. A better sander though, isn't too hard for me to justify a cost premium for it. I can't justify swapping my existing miter saw for a Kapex right now. I have been considering a track saw for sheet goods though, especially considering how relatively compactly these can be stored. Will have to consider Festool for it. Thanks again.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Great discussion, I hope when the Kreg system becomes available we will get some good feedback on it.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Great discussion, I hope when the Kreg system becomes available we will get some good feedback on it.
Ed,

My apologies for hijacking this thread to discuss Festool. Sorry about that. This Kreg system looks interesting for a track saw solution. When I think of Kreg, I always think of their jig solutions. I wonder if they designed the circular saw for this system, or if they licensed someone else's saw. This is new territory for them, isn't it, selling power tools?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I went to the Rockler site and found the item:

https://www.rockler.com/kreg-adaptive-c ... master-kit

Says it is over sold and they also have a link to a Rebate.

It says to call the store so it is not clear if the store has any or if they have more importantly a demo set up. I have a trip out that way later in the week and if I can work it in I'll stop in and see.

Ed
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I got a Woodcraft flyer today and it had a small item in the upper left corner of page 4 for the Kreg system. No price but "See it in stores today!"
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT