V-belt replacement

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

roneg
Gold Member

Re: V-belt replacement

Post by roneg »

Thanks JPG.
"The older I get..The better I was"
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Also when your playing around with the motor sheaves , DO KNOT let go of the sheave so they slam into the motor
sheave. It will cause other problems.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
roneg
Gold Member

Post by roneg »

Great tip beeg!

Ron
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Someone in this thread stated: "Assuming you have the right belt"

This triggered by curiousity. (doesn't take much to do that)

I measured the four motor belts that I have for the Shopsmith. They were all purchased from Shopsmith but at different times. Two are marked with a Shopsmith part number. One is labeled Perelli and one is totally unidentied (no markings).

The one with no markings I purchased from Shopsmith to have as a spare. I suspect that this was during a time that Shopsmith experienced a quality control issue with a manufacturer. I understand from conversation here on the forum that that manufacturer has been dropped from the approved vendor list (just rumor and supposition).

My only point. A comparison of the physical profiles of these four belts.
Motor Belt Profiles
Motor Belt Profiles
Motor Belt Profiles.png (13.97 KiB) Viewed 16250 times
The horizontal line in each profile is the fiber line that has been mentioned. Location seems to be random.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I also am curious. What are the markings on the obviously larger profile belt and and what is it's width at the widest(top)?

ORRR what are the top width dimensions on those marked.(and what the marking is)

Can I correctly assume they are not all 'new'.

Interesting asymmetry.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:I also am curious. What are the markings on the obviously larger profile belt and and what is it's width at the widest(top)?

ORRR what are the top width dimensions on those marked.(and what the marking is)

Can I correctly assume they are not all 'new'.

Interesting asymmetry.
I think this will answer all your questions. The Perelli came out of the Shorty when it was being reconditioned. The unidentified is new and came from Shopsmith. One of the two with SS P/Ns is new. The other is like new but was in my go to machine. The OD of the unidentified is 1/8" shorter than the others which all measure 26 3/4".
Motor Belts
Motor Belts
Motor Belts.png (35.71 KiB) Viewed 16228 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
JPG wrote: . . . The OD of the unidentified is 1/8" shorter than the others which all measure 26 3/4".
Thank You!
????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
roneg
Gold Member

Post by roneg »

https://s.amsu.ng/RJkoersxAqsN

I've installed the new belt. I see what appears to be a problem. The belt rides against the waytube! It can be seen in Pic 3 best.Image
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

roneg wrote:https://s.amsu.ng/RJkoersxAqsN

I've installed the new belt. I see what appears to be a problem. The belt rides against the waytube! It can be seen in Pic 3 best.Image
Yes, I can see your concern. It is hard to tell from photo images but it looks to me as though the motor hangs off to one side more that the other.

With the belt cover removed and the headstock in horizontal (saw) position, I would check to see that the three shafts (quill, idler, motor) are all three inline. Just drop a plumbline down from the center of the quill shaft. It should center on the motor shaft.

If you check the belt at midrange (speed) does it make a difference?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
roneg
Gold Member

Post by roneg »

It's hard to get a good perspective on three shafts. But I was able to tell the motor is off slightly. Honestly..I don't know how everyone's doesn't get this way. From what I can tell the only solid mounting point is the this sheet-metal shroud? I can take a 1x1 , and lodge it on the left side of the wat tube , and the right side of the motor shaft and get the motor ,and shroud to move to the left 1/4 to 3/8 inches! There must be a way to adjust this, but I've yet to find a mention of it. Any good ideas? Also in the process of learning tug and push while clinching a flashlight in my mouth..I striped the gears on the speed-dial handle! So I'll be either ordering one from SS or using the guy on fleebay that rebuilds them. Any thoughts?ImageImageImageImageImage