What does your workbenches look like?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

moggymatt
Platinum Member

What does your workbenches look like?

Post by moggymatt »

It's still below freezing in my neck of the woods, and my shop(2 car garage) has just enough heat to keep things from freezing. As soon as it hits a temperature warm enough to work comfortably, I'm finally going to build a woodworkers workbench. Haven't decided exactly what style yet. Seems each new plan or magazine article on a bench changes my mind this way or that way. I've lived with a solid core door top so long I don't really know any different. I've got my hardware for the vices and the wood for everything but the top.

Anybody here want to share a picture of their bench and what they like and don't like about yours?
Paul B
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: What does your workbenches look like?

Post by JPG »

Mine is a mess, but the top consists of 2x4 on edge with tie bolts pulling it all together. It has a replacable 'masonite' top over a planed smooth top surface.

It was not made exclusively for wood working so no ww vises. :( A CI wilton vise on right end and a cobbled pipe clamp vice on the left face front.

I really like Shipwright's bench with the leg vice and the trolley end vice.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Started out as freestanding, with 3 - 2 x 10's x 8' long flat over 2 x 4 frame which was bolted together. Over 40+ years it had a masonite top, now a melamine top. Shelves below evolved from loose scraps of plywood over 2 x 4's that spanned between legs to a combination of drawers and fixed shelves as my tool collection and woodworking skills improved. I built it 40" tall because I had disliked how my Dad's had required stooping over to work on anything.
Attachments
Never been this clean since day new melamine top was installed
Never been this clean since day new melamine top was installed
P6140098resized.jpg (196.15 KiB) Viewed 36753 times
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

br549 wrote:Started out as freestanding, with 3 - 2 x 10's x 8' long flat over 2 x 4 frame which was bolted together. Over 40+ years it had a masonite top, now a melamine top. Shelves below evolved from loose scraps of plywood over 2 x 4's that spanned between legs to a combination of drawers and fixed shelves as my tool collection and woodworking skills improved. I built it 40" tall because I had disliked how my Dad's had required stooping over to work on anything.
Wow! I have never seen a workbench devoid of clutter before!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ChrisNeilan wrote:
br549 wrote:Started out as freestanding, with 3 - 2 x 10's x 8' long flat over 2 x 4 frame which was bolted together. Over 40+ years it had a masonite top, now a melamine top. Shelves below evolved from loose scraps of plywood over 2 x 4's that spanned between legs to a combination of drawers and fixed shelves as my tool collection and woodworking skills improved. I built it 40" tall because I had disliked how my Dad's had required stooping over to work on anything.
Wow! I have never seen a workbench devoid of clutter before!
Look at the organization of those items on the shelves. This is a neat and orderly work shop. One to be proud of.

With my bad habits I could quickly change that.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Here's mine, JackBench plans used with MFT style custom sized top.

Jack
2013-11-21 20.11.44resized 35%.jpg
2013-11-21 20.11.44resized 35%.jpg (304.26 KiB) Viewed 36728 times
2013-11-23 12.52.20 resized 35%.jpg
2013-11-23 12.52.20 resized 35%.jpg (347.17 KiB) Viewed 36728 times
2013-11-23 12.53.23 resized 20%.jpg
2013-11-23 12.53.23 resized 20%.jpg (134.03 KiB) Viewed 36728 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I have two work benches.. The out feed table on my cabinet saw also serves as a work bench. The small bench on the right was made when I was still working in my garage. The large bench on the left was made after the dedicated shop was built. It has dog holes in the top and the full width Veritas twin screw vice jaw. I also have a pattern makers vise to mount on the left front.

The small bench and out feed table are 1 1/2" thick laminated Maple. The large bench is also laminated Maple. It is 2" thick in the center with 4" wide aprons.
Attachments
Outfeed Table Small.JPG
Outfeed Table Small.JPG (327.15 KiB) Viewed 36694 times
Work Bench.JPG
Work Bench.JPG (265.77 KiB) Viewed 36694 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

Check this one out...

https://youtu.be/wVjhhV9ivvk
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote:I have two work benches.. The out feed table on my cabinet saw also serves as a work bench. The small bench on the right was made when I was still working in my garage. The large bench on the left was made after the dedicated shop was built. It has dog holes in the top and the full width Veritas twin screw vice jaw. I also have a pattern makers vise to mount on the left front.

The small bench and out feed table are 1 1/2" thick laminated Maple. The large bench is also laminated Maple. It is 2" thick in the center with 4" wide aprons.
I like the compactness of the dual wheel grinder on the pole stand you have. Is it stable on that stand or did you need to mount it to the wall on the back or bolt it to the floor to keep it from tipping over? What brand is it? I am in the market to get one and yours looks very interesting...also very nice looking shop! Thanks for sharing.
Last edited by RFGuy on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I made a Paul Seller's bench from 2x4's several years ago, I use it all the time and it works great. Mind you only the end with the vise is still clear and the strip sander (used for sharpening) has a space in the middle, the rest has accumulated stuff. Build was documented in this thread. https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/begi ... 12550.html

Building it was a good way to learn and practice using hand tools, It is easily taken apart should it need to be moved.

Last year he did a new series on building the bench from 2x4's,

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9W9xQS-EdQ[/youtube]

Workbenchwithfinish.jpg
Workbenchwithfinish.jpg (130.41 KiB) Viewed 36631 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,