DIY PVC Sander Drum Length?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fersidhe
Silver Member

DIY PVC Sander Drum Length?

Post by fersidhe »

I have some 3" schedule 40 PVC that came with my garage when I bought my house. Wall thickness is .24". I'm using laminated plywood end caps that I turned on the lathe for a press fit. I was planning on making the drums 24" wide but I've been wondering if that's an acceptable length with the PVC drum being hollow? Looking to avoid vibration, etc. Thanks in advance.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: DIY PVC Sander Drum Length?

Post by JPG »

Fill it with plaster of paris?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Use hook and loop paper ,24" worked out for me JMO, I end up with a good 18-20 " work area Also keep in mind the pvc is not perfectly round . jmo
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Could you make some more rings like the end caps, but slip fit to support the center.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
fersidhe
Silver Member

Post by fersidhe »

So I gather I want to fill the drum with weight? I can load it up the PVC pipe with MDF circles, but I think I'd need a shaft to go all the way through? I just was hoping not to spend anything. Can I glue a dowel through the middle of all them instead of a threaded/metal shaft since they're there just for mass? I'm planning to drive the drum with the pic attached and the tailstock side will have a slight friction slip fit over a live tailstock bearing.

Velcro is on my to-do list on this at a later date.
Attachments
IMG_5714.jpg
IMG_5714.jpg (349.72 KiB) Viewed 30960 times
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I did a pretty extensive post on a project to make a sandfree type sander that used PVC as a drum. I found I had to turn the PVC to get a nice uniform round surface and yes I used a shaft the went the full length and used pillow block bearings.

Others have seemed to get away with just using store bought PVC??? Anyway you might pick-up a few things from reading this thread:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/begi ... t5342.html

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I think it would be easier to keep the two ends straight and concentric with a shaft that went all the way through. :) I don't think weight is a concern, I was only suggesting a few extra rings, spaced apart, to keep the center, length wise, concentric with the shaft through the center. If you are building it like a sand flee or V-drum sander there isn't any pressure against the drum, Not sure about a thickness sander, I have no experience with one of those.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The purpose of filling the center is not to gain weight, but rather to gain rigidity. Any non compressible substance will do. Cement grout comes to mind as well.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fersidhe
Silver Member

Post by fersidhe »

JPG wrote:The purpose of filling the center is not to gain weight, but rather to gain rigidity. Any non compressible substance will do. Cement grout comes to mind as well.
That’s a great idea, I have 2 five foot length’s of 3” pvc pipe. I wonder how a can of expanding foam would work on a 20” section? I know it’s foam, so it’s compressible, but it gets pretty stiff and stable, it may be light but still provide enough rigidity?

Anyone have thoughts before I go hit the hardware store? (Which I was trying to avoid, but I have a real zeal for simple inexpensive solutions over time consuming complicated ones.)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Lack of 'compressibility' is the desired attribute.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝