Storage for ShopSmith tables

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Storage for ShopSmith tables

Post by Greenvilleguy »

I've converted by old (1954) 500 to a 520. Has anyone designed a storage system for keeping all the expansion tables when using the ShopSmith as a lathe or drill press?
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Hang them on wall

Post by chiroindixon »

Shopsmith sells a storage system, 555941. I took a good look around and found some similiar brackets I had in garage. Having the five foot pipes....I then hung the brackets on the wall and can now hang at least four of my tables out of the way.
cabbie
Bronze Member

Post by cabbie »

I agree with chiroindixon....I went to Lowes and got the single wall brackets, mounted two of them to fit the rails on the tables and hung them on the wall..out of the way and easy to get to
cabbie
ghorsman
Bronze Member

Table Storage

Post by ghorsman »

I bought the brackets from Shopsmith. Waited until they had one of their sales and picked them up then. Easy way to store them
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

I took 2x4's and cut them to the length of the extension tubes, then I drilled 1" holes at an angle, two inches from each end and then glued one inch dowels in the holes. I made three of these and hung them on the wall in a stacking configuration, far enough apart to hang the main table and ext. tables from the ext. tubes which I hang on the dowels.
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Great suggestions

Post by Greenvilleguy »

All great suggestions. Thanks!

I'm a little short on wall space close to the ShopSmith. I think I'll take woodburners idea and apply it to a cart with slanted sides. Maybe I can store tables on one side, my jointer and belt sander on the other side and use the ends for turning stuff.

Has anyone designed anything like that?

PS. I normally spend my time building furniture or bowls rather than jigs or shop storage, but all these ShopSmith accessories are getting out of hand.
wood-guy

Loooong Pegboard Hooks

Post by wood-guy »

I just use nice long pegboard hooks, about 12" long, and hang all the extra extension tables I have for the 510 by slipping the tubes over the long, straight "arm" of the the hook... I have lots of extra tables, so I needed a way to store a large number of the extra tables. I have something like 10 hanging side by side in one small portion of my wall - (which is covered with pegboard!)
-Paul H-
Indianapolis, IN
fjimp
Platinum Member

Storage for Tables and jigs

Post by fjimp »

As others have mentioned wall space is at a premium in my shop. I built a simple vertical rack in a corner. It uses a minimum of space and currently hold 7 tables and jigs. Including my Incra 5000. Unfortunately I lacked enough space to make it a bit wider. Everything is stored vertically and is slid into place from the open end. I also have the hooks from Shop Smith for the extwnsion tables and connecting rods. It too is a nifty design:)
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

Hi Douglas & Everyone,

To answer your question about building a angled cart to hold the tables, I made a cart similar to what you describe, but mine holds my clamps.
I don't know if a cart like this could hold your tables on one side and your jointer, etc. on the other. These accessories might be too heavy for such a cart. Let me know how it works out if you build one.
As far as using pegboard, I tried that too, but the holes in my pegboard kept breaking through and I had my stuff falling on my workbench (ouch):( . Maybe they just sell weak pegboard here in my part of California. That's when I built what I described in my earlier post.
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o
chas4104
Bronze Member

Storage for Shopsmith tables

Post by chas4104 »

Hope this helps. I bought 4 feet x 1/16 x 1 inch wide strip steel from H. Depot and by using the picture and details on SS website and my vice I was able to bend and form a reasonable copy of SS wall storage unit. I used conduit for the tube. Cost me less than $8.00. Everyone says that I would squeeze a nickel till the buffalo bellowes.