The wisdom of the masses

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

farmerwd
Gold Member

Re: The wisdom of the masses

Post by farmerwd »

Thanks @wa2crk!

I tried that a few times but I guess I wasn't filling out the right fields - kinda confusing that they have duplicate form fields eh? In case it's still not working - Dallas!

@JPG Good call! I've had to constantly keep that in check, I earned the nickname Jethro from my father every time I overtightened or cracked something I wasn't supposed to.

P.S. I took a stab a polishing my way tubes this weekend - turned out pretty well! Thanks again to all involved!
Attachments
beforeNafter.jpg
beforeNafter.jpg (489.47 KiB) Viewed 13559 times
Brand new to Shopsmiths - Working with & working on a MarkV - SS54109.
PhilSC
Gold Member

Post by PhilSC »

Your tube polishing looks great! I used a simile plug to clean up some really rusty lower tubes. I had some problems putting the threaded bolt end directly into the chuck, so I got a jam nut and a threaded connector to put on the threaded end and then into the chuck. Worked a bit better for me, and I didn’t damage the threads or the chuck. Your way probably works fine if you’re less of a klutz than I am!
farmerwd
Gold Member

Post by farmerwd »

PhilSC wrote:Your tube polishing looks great! I used a simile plug to clean up some really rusty lower tubes. I had some problems putting the threaded bolt end directly into the chuck, so I got a jam nut and a threaded connector to put on the threaded end and then into the chuck. Worked a bit better for me, and I didn’t damage the threads or the chuck. Your way probably works fine if you’re less of a klutz than I am!

I'm not so sure on that one lol! For the LIFE of me I couldn't find an 5/8 threaded connector! I looked and looked and I suppose HD was just out. I replaced the original bolt with a 3.5" one, kept the same square head, and added a lock washer to the base so I could get some purchase. To your point about the chuck slipping... I just ground the lower threads down on three sides to give the teeth something to clamp onto. :eek: :D For all of ~$3 I reasoned that this was a one-job-only kinda tool... Link if anyone needs help finding a freeze plug https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-1-2 ... /100342630
Freeze Plug a la home depot
Freeze Plug a la home depot
freezeplug.jpg (314.16 KiB) Viewed 13531 times
I'm curious how you ran yours! - I've seen so many different designs with a drill, but nothing that let the shopsmith clean itself. I only have just the one, so I wanted to see if three way tubes kept enough stability to allow me to clean one pipe while the others were all locked in place. I scrounged around the shop and came up with an approximation of the extension table (2x4 and some dowel I had laying around) and some old skateboard wheels a neighbor threw away.
The parts-around-the-shop tube rest
The parts-around-the-shop tube rest
jig.jpg (486.09 KiB) Viewed 13531 times
I was concerned about speed causing the pipe to simply hop out, so I went through a few tests and safety checks. After aligning everything, leveling the pipe, and setting the spacing to let the way tube get a bit of a draw from both wheels. I ran it with a few ratcheting tie-down straps to catch it if it decided to move. TBH I'm not sure if the whole was clever or stupid, but I felt pretty confident after my initial tests.

It worked out pretty well I'm pleased to say. Never even tried to jump, the only hiccup was the chuck loosened up and it started to push out on me... hence the grinding lol.

So far I've cleaned the lower two way tubes as good as I'm going to get without taking the top layer off and am considering seeing if I can flip the pairs for the last two cleanup. As I understand the upper tubes *are* shorter, but I wonder if it's got enough wiggle room to allow the trio cleanup again.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Go get a 5' piece of 1 1/2" emt(thin wall conduit).

Cut to 52 3/4" length.

Substitute it for one of the way tubes(upper - the lower tubes are 'bench' tubes ;) ).

Proceed carefully since the emt is thin and may get whippy. :eek: Run at slow only.

BTW that is not a 'freeze' plug, but a plumbing pipe plug.(whatever works!!!!) :) :cool:

Use a threaded coupler and jam nut for a chuck surface. Hmmmmmmm PhilSC already said that.

P.S. I am curious what is the range of expansion that plug has.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

JPG wrote:Go get a 5' piece of 1 1/2" emt(thin wall conduit).

Cut to 52 3/4" length.

Substitute it for one of the way tubes(upper - the lower tubes are 'bench' tubes ;) ).

Proceed carefully since the emt is thin and may get whippy. :eek: Run at slow only.

BTW that is not a 'freeze' plug, but a plumbing pipe plug.(whatever works!!!!) :) :cool:

Use a threaded coupler and jam nut for a chuck surface. Hmmmmmmm PhilSC already said that.

P.S. I am curious what is the range of expansion that plug has.
If you look at the answer to the question about a rain barrel on HD's site the manufacturer stated the range is 1.48" -1.65".
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
farmerwd
Gold Member

Post by farmerwd »

Interesting - I learned something new! Apologies for the tube miscommunication. I have two newly polished bench tubes - and two steel-wool scrubbed way tubes at present.

The extra EMT is a good idea! I've considered just running the shopsmith on the bench tubes alone, fastened to some rolling shop cabinets I have and forgoing the swap, but I need to think on it. I need to decide if it's worth it $ wise to have an incrementally better shine :rolleyes:

The answer being... but it's so shiny!

Also: No wonder I couldn't ever find anything that matched searching for freeze plug. :D
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Actually freeze plugs were what has been used in the past.

I am amazed that 'specifications' in a HD description actually had meaningful information. That is a greater range than freeze plugs have.

I would NOT operate without both upper and lower tubes attached or compensated for.

Actually I think too much polish is a detriment to secure locking. Just MHO.

Oh I like your tube polishing tail stock jig. Consider using the aux table next time and clamp that roller board to it.

G'nite!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
PhilSC
Gold Member

Post by PhilSC »

Initially I tried turning tubes on a caster setup with the tube through the tail stink with Th center removed, but it was a bad setup for me. Couldn’t find any abandoned skate board wheels, so I rigged some sliding screen door wheels with o rings filling the groove. Bolted them to a board, and clamped the board to the eccentric mounts from a jointer.
I am doing this on another Shopsmith Mark V. I wound up with 3, and using them to restore each other. Nearly ready to paint and reassemble the one I’m working on!
farmerwd
Gold Member

Post by farmerwd »

That's awesome!

Adapt and overcome as they say. I've been getting the itch to strip and paint mine as well, but not sure it's as much a priority getting it all in working order first. Regardless, I dream lol. Have you decided what paint type you're going with? I've seen the hammered Rust-Oleum posts, but I have also looked at hammerite as an option. I've been trying to find a really tough two part epoxy paint that will provide some protection (esp the legs) while also getting a color match as close as I can.

The search continues!

P.s. three!! I think I'd be in trouble with the mrs if I tried to adopt more than one lol
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Some perforated plumbing strap loped over the tube and fastened down on the two by four should restrain the tube if it decides to hop out. The strap should not be tight just looped over the 2 by.
Bill V