The wisdom of the masses

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: The wisdom of the masses

Post by JPG »

Evaporiust also removes blox.

The drill chuck was never blox.

JPW often will work as well anyway.

Extensive blox is a SS Inc. thing. Most of the older stuff was not.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:
dusty wrote:The spur is not that far off. Both set screws are nearly aligned with one another.
The point was the hole is 'off' the flat. The penetrating oil is not getting into the flat area so flow other that minor seepage is not occurring. The flat would provide a void facilitating greater distribution and greater 'storage' capacity. :)
I understand all of that. My point was that the spur was not so far misaligned that the flat was not there within the screw hole.

But that is OKAY. We'll have it your way.

I'm just glad that the spur has been removed and there was no damage or injury in the process.

Good Show.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
JPG wrote:
dusty wrote:The spur is not that far off. Both set screws are nearly aligned with one another.
The point was the hole is 'off' the flat. The penetrating oil is not getting into the flat area so flow other that minor seepage is not occurring. The flat would provide a void facilitating greater distribution and greater 'storage' capacity. :)
I understand all of that. My point was that the spur was not so far misaligned that the flat was not there within the screw hole.

But that is OKAY. We'll have it your way.

I'm just glad that the spur has been removed and there was no damage or injury in the process.

Good Show.

Well you are correct! I am guilty of looking at the pix rather than looking at real hardware. What I thought(?) was a liquid bubble edge is the edge of the flat.

So 'my way' was incorrect! :o
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tucsonguy
Gold Member

Post by tucsonguy »

JPG wrote:
tucsonguy wrote:Kroil:

http://www.kanolabs.com/

Or you can buy it on Amazon if you want it faster and are willing to pay more :)

Almost as good - biodiesel if you can find 100% in your area.
Why BIOdiesel?

Yes diesel oil penetrates well also(ask anyone who deals with it).
Biodiesel has amazing penetrant qualities that regular diesel does not have. Example:
When you convert a diesel engine to run on biodiesel, you have to replace ALL fuel hoses and connecting washers and connections with special biodiesel resistant parts, because biodiesel simply seeps through fittings in a way that diesel doesnt.
When I converted my motorcycle to run on a diesel engine, and then switched to biodiesel, I had to replace all hoses with special hoses, and I had to use a leather buffing wheel to make every connecting washer mirror smooth, to stop the leaking.

Biodiesel is an AMAZING penetrant. Buy some and test it out!
Geoff Baker
1951 10ER w variable speed electronic motor with reverse
1999 520 w PowerPro
Belt sander - strip sander - bandsaw - scrollsaw - jointer - overarm router - undertable router mounted on main SS saw table - speed increaser - speed reducer - forced air HEPA filter for headstock - 19" SS powered aluminum drum sander - index wheel system - lathe table crossslide vise system
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

tucsonguy wrote:
JPG wrote:
tucsonguy wrote:Kroil:

http://www.kanolabs.com/

Or you can buy it on Amazon if you want it faster and are willing to pay more :)

Almost as good - biodiesel if you can find 100% in your area.
Why BIOdiesel?

Yes diesel oil penetrates well also(ask anyone who deals with it).
Biodiesel has amazing penetrant qualities that regular diesel does not have. Example:
When you convert a diesel engine to run on biodiesel, you have to replace ALL fuel hoses and connecting washers and connections with special biodiesel resistant parts, because biodiesel simply seeps through fittings in a way that diesel doesnt.
When I converted my motorcycle to run on a diesel engine, and then switched to biodiesel, I had to replace all hoses with special hoses, and I had to use a leather buffing wheel to make every connecting washer mirror smooth, to stop the leaking.

Biodiesel is an AMAZING penetrant. Buy some and test it out!
My new thing learned for today! Thanks :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As JPG said
One caveat - abrasive cleaning of black oxide parts removes the black oxide.

Your spur center is an example.
The black oxide coating is there to help retard rust. It is not a cure all for it. There are a lot of Shopsmith tools and accessories that were made prior to 1964 when they started putting the black oxide coating on them. The Goldie that JPG has owned since new didn't have it and I'll bet it's metal parts are shinny and free of rust. It just takes a little care to keep them that way. If it needs to come off than okay don't worry about it. Just enjoy your Shopsmith.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

My guess is the previous owner was a turner only and never removed the drive center. I suspect you have an accumulation of finish on it. It could be lacquer, acrylic, poly, clear epoxy, or even CA glue or any combination of all.

I would put it in drill press mode, set a cup/container so the whole thing up to the aluminum collar could be submerged. Then I would soak in acetone over night. Then bang on it as recommended above if no go soak it another night in PB blaster.

The problem is with all the finish on it you are not able to get the blaster into the joint.

From the picture you can see the finish on it. Hopefully it is not epoxy or CA glue.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ed in Tampa wrote:My guess is the previous owner was a turner only and never removed the drive center. I suspect you have an accumulation of finish on it. It could be lacquer, acrylic, poly, clear epoxy, or even CA glue or any combination of all.

I would put it in drill press mode, set a cup/container so the whole thing up to the aluminum collar could be submerged. Then I would soak in acetone over night. Then bang on it as recommended above if no go soak it another night in PB blaster.

The problem is with all the finish on it you are not able to get the blaster into the joint.

From the picture you can see the finish on it. Hopefully it is not epoxy or CA glue.
Aaaa ED, look back a few posts. ;) https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 25#p256625
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

JPG wrote:
Ed in Tampa wrote:My guess is the previous owner was a turner only and never removed the drive center. I suspect you have an accumulation of finish on it. It could be lacquer, acrylic, poly, clear epoxy, or even CA glue or any combination of all.

Aaaa ED, look back a few posts. ;) https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 25#p256625
OOPS! SORRY!
farmerwd
Gold Member

Post by farmerwd »

Not a worry - Solid advice! :)

That's as close to what I can tell he did. The gent I picked this up from mentioned he had used the ss all of 3 times that entire year to turn stuff. I guess he and his son went through a phase with it, and fell out of favor.

The confounding thing about it to me is - I've gone through all the parts he gave me and there are random pieces to other equipment everywhere! I assume he must have bought this off another SS user who sold an extra or something.

My MKV came with the actual jointer and the bandsaw attachments - but has extra parts for the belt sander, the scroll saw, I think an upgraded 510 dust assy for something, a pully for something, a super tiny grinding/polishing wheel, and some really old documents to include the v1 issue of a shop smith magazine.

Speaking of - I can't tell if the schematics are saying I'm missing an important piece or just a cover for when the jointer is used on a stand... It seems so flimsy to have only a single mounting piece be the trunion. I cant seem to find many photos of th eback of the jointer, any thoughts?

P.S. @ JPG Thanks for the compliment! I'm a designer by day so graphics are in my wheelhouse. Which speaking of, I'd love to help out the community however I can, are there any graphics / manuals / ref charts that would benefit from being recreated/restored?
Attachments
Missing something at the arrows?
Missing something at the arrows?
magna_jointer.jpg (354.4 KiB) Viewed 11627 times
Brand new to Shopsmiths - Working with & working on a MarkV - SS54109.