Youtube video with great hints for CNC users and shop vacs

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Youtube video with great hints for CNC users and shop vacs

Post by Ed in Tampa »

https://youtu.be/VTCWADIe2zA

Check out the above YouTube video. Izzy Swan is making a shopvac cart that hold the hose and extra tools. In doing it he uses a CNC machine and shows the use of composite pins to hold the board in place. And a modification to the router collet to speed up bit changes and increase accuracy.
Izzy Swan is an interesting guy that invents things for wood workers. Some he sells some he shows plans but all his ideas are entertaining and interesting.

Do yourself a favor and checkout his video on his YouTube channel
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Youtube video with great hints for CNC users and shop vacs

Post by dusty »

Really cool, Ed. Too bad I don't have a CNC or even an SO.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Looks like they hope to sell them for less then we can buy the wood. Not really sure they can do that.

The chuck has been discussed here before. I don't have one and don't think I will and it isn't because of some flaw but rather just something I don't need since the wrenches do fine for me. I could see that it might be useful on a cnc machine. See if this brings back memories:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... ck#p213522

The composite pins aren't new and I have thought about getting a gun to shoot them for purposes like he showed. I have on on my list but who knows if I will ever actually get one.

The shop vac cart hose real is interesting in that it is for the smaller hoses, if that is what you use I guess it might be OK but I'd like to see one for the 2+ hoses that I use most. Also I don't have a lot of attachments for my vacs, in fact I don't have any. What I do have is the dust deputy, wonder of they will address that need.

He is not one I watch much but only occasionally which is a step above rare in my you tube viewing.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

I have several observations. First using a muscle chuck sacrifices too much run out for me. I used one in my table router for years and it sort of worked ok with a stock router that has around a .001" run out for most of the things I did but it did increase the run out to .003-.005 range. Spending money for a precision CNC spindle with a typical run out of .0001" and then using this thing is just plain crazy.
I fully agree that a design work flow using Sketchup and Aspire or Vcarve is about the best you can do particularly if your are using the Fabber software to do the handoff from Sketchup. They work equally well for the SO as well as traditional CNC but might be a little overkill for the SO.
The pin gun is an interesting concept as long as you are satisfied with the pins being in your finished product. De-conflicting their placement seems like it would be a lot of trouble.
I think he has some good ideas but not all of them are good.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I came across this youtube video by Woodsmith and it looks like something I'd like to have/make rather then the originally posted one. For one thing it takes into account that some of use use cyclone dust collectors and doesn't try the cord reel nonsense. Take a look and see what I mean.
ScreenHunter 136.jpg
ScreenHunter 136.jpg (58.1 KiB) Viewed 13802 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPj8H3ztJcU

Plans are $10 but I'm pretty sure a lot of people here can make there own and size it to the shop vac they have etc. without purchasing plans.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]