nteresting Festool MFT copy

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

benush26
Platinum Member

nteresting Festool MFT copy

Post by benush26 »

Just ran across this
https://www.kregtool.com/store/c72/adap ... ng-system/

It appears that Festool tracksaw with MFT has a wannabe.

Be well,
Ben
reible
Platinum Member

Re: nteresting Festool MFT copy

Post by reible »

Yet another wanna be. So many out there now. Interesting the holes are 3/4" but I didn't notice the spacing, more then likely imperial rather then the 32 mm increments. And I wonder if the track is comparable or of there own design.

Cheaper then Festool but with so many companies making versions I'm not sure they will hit the price point to get a lot of sales.

I get there news letter so I knew about this, is that how you found out?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

They should have went with 20mm holes and 96mm on center. I realize they have a lot invested in 3/4" dog holes but they blew a huge segment of the woodworking population that are already invested in 20mm holes who might have jumped on that table and fence bracket set up.

Jack
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

reible wrote:
I get there news letter so I knew about this, is that how you found out?

Ed
I was doing a search on YouTube for parallel track guides for my DeWalt. A video showing the setup of this system was one of the selections. It has the demonstrator as one of the guys on WoodSmith from a few years back.

Regarding the other comments
After spending nearly 4 months waiting to get my “never been used” DeWalt track saw back from repair :mad: , I believe my money would have been better spent elsewhere. I bought the 102” track along with the 59” which would have raised the cost of a Festool WAY out of my range, but would have considered the Makita if they didn’t have such a lousy record for warped tracks. I now wonder if Makita buys their tracks as the “seconds” from the Festool supplier. Yes, I do understand I could have bought something else and spliced the shorter tracks, but watched friends try that with their systems and it appeared very fiddly and frustrating. Or probably more accurately stated, more fiddly and frustrating than “I” want to deal with. :o :eek: :p
Personally I think Kreg is looking for ANY new markets. The number of pocket hole jig rivals is mounting (I’m personally thinking of switching to the ArmorTool both for the jig and their clamps). I’ve tried Kreg’s weekend wood worker saw guides and found them too flimsy and inaccurate which I would guess is the reason for Kreg’s leap into a legitimate track saw market. There are quite a few pocket screw companies with prices lower than Kreg. Though their assembly tables look complete, I think many are choosing parts from other companies to then create a table that’s more custom to individual needs.

Why 3/4” instead of 20mm, who knows. I don’t presume the spacing interval is critical as long as the distance between the holes is precise. I don’t actually know, but aren’t they there more for making precise angles? I’d presume that those with LOTS of 20 mm dogs and clamps and such could cheaply buy or make a replacement top. Not defending Kreg’s decisions, but offering options.

Be well,
Ben
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Ben,

I bought a Makita 118" track several months back from Toolnut for $200 shipped and am very happy with it. It is straight and fits my TS55 without any adjustment. I took my old shorter Festool track (108" I think) and cut it down to two shorter lengths. All my other guide rail saw stuff including vac are Festool, along with the Domino, some sanders, two Carvexes, and etc. I suspect the 96mm on center is for anything relating to the 32mm cabinet ystem used in Europe but I think you are correct that having the holes equal distance apart is more important for us than the 96mm.

Jack
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

Finally saw the intro to the system. Some "unique" accessories, but they still appear to be made from flexible plastic. I though the parallel guides using a modified tape rule were clever, but not any thing I would trust. But then that's just me. It will be interesting to see how sales do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Jdo_R ... e=youtu.be

Be well,
Ben