Heads Up - Bargain 'available'

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

badtheba
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: Heads Up - Bargain 'available'

Post by badtheba »

csxeng wrote:Bad,
I had to buy a new reducer sleeve for mine cause I lose the original one. My motor is 5/8 shaft. They are available off ebay. Without the sleeve the motor extension will fit right on the 3/4 motor shaft.

By the way, Killer job on the ER. The two tone colors look great! Keep up the good work!
Dave V.
You were able to buy a reducer bushing with a slot cut for the key, or did you have to modify it?

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Heads Up - Bargain 'available'

Post by rpd »

An interesting 10ER, Note the extended bench with the 4E jointer mounted separately on the left end, with its own motor
https://ventura.craigslist.org/tls/d/ne ... 29852.html
00C0C_iS3TgIXwPak_1200x900.jpg
00C0C_iS3TgIXwPak_1200x900.jpg (142.26 KiB) Viewed 20311 times
00i0i_2SA28QpRxCj_1200x900.jpg
00i0i_2SA28QpRxCj_1200x900.jpg (133.44 KiB) Viewed 20311 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
badtheba
Gold Member

Post by badtheba »

rpd wrote:An interesting 10ER, Note the extended bench with the 4E jointer mounted separately on the left end, with its own motor
$matches[2]
I wonder what it says on the front of the table fence bar.

Also, several people have told me there was never a complete pistol grip made for the 10ER miter bar, but yet I keep seeing them in pictures.

csxeng
Gold Member

Post by csxeng »

Bad,
Yes! They are available on Ebay. 3/4 to 5/8 3" long. I just cut 1" off the end to make it 2". About $10.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/VJsAAOSw ... s-l640.jpg

Here's one here.

https://www.ebay.com/i/253920602432?chn=ps

Dave V.
amboyna
Gold Member

Post by amboyna »

rpd wrote:An interesting 10ER, Note the extended bench with the 4E jointer mounted separately on the left end, with its own motor

$matches[2]

Someone took a lot of pride in that machine. Well kept and organized.
The longer bench is especially nice. I have to question the pulley setup on the jointer though. Typically the motor would have a 5" pulley. But sine I don't know the rpm of the motor...
Shopsmith 10E S/N 5804 restored.
Shopsmith 10ER S/N R39267; purchased 10-10-50 in San Francisco.
Bruce Brenner
http://www.vintagepbks.com/shopsmith.html
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

badtheba wrote:I wonder what it says on the front of the table fence bar.

Also, several people have told me there was never a complete pistol grip made for the 10ER miter bar, but yet I keep seeing them in pictures.
By zooming in I could just make out the label on the table,

It says "DANGER OPEN BLADE BELOW"
Ron Dyck
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

amboyna wrote: Someone took a lot of pride in that machine. Well kept and organized.
The longer bench is especially nice. I have to question the pulley setup on the jointer though. Typically the motor would have a 5" pulley. But since I don't know the rpm of the motor...
I certainly agree, beautifully maintained and organized. :D

Whoever set it up for the photo wasn't very successful in following the silhouettes on the back board though. :rolleyes:
Ron Dyck
csxeng
Gold Member

Post by csxeng »

rpd wrote:
amboyna wrote: The longer bench is especially nice. I have to question the pulley setup on the jointer though. Typically the motor would have a 5" pulley. But since I don't know the rpm of the motor...
I bet at one time the jointer was an add on but the person couldn’t find the motor extension and the 5 inch pulley kit. So it was this setup that was used. Very ingenious setup as long as it works. All on one bench!
Dave V.
badtheba
Gold Member

Post by badtheba »

csxeng wrote:
rpd wrote:
amboyna wrote: The longer bench is especially nice. I have to question the pulley setup on the jointer though. Typically the motor would have a 5" pulley. But since I don't know the rpm of the motor...
I bet at one time the jointer was an add on but the person couldn’t find the motor extension and the 5 inch pulley kit. So it was this setup that was used. Very ingenious setup as long as it works. All on one bench!
Dave V.
I wonder if Magna originally planned the 4E to be able to be run standalone. I haven't seen that in old marketing materials yet, but maybe someone else knows. It has bosses in the casting to be able to bolt it to a table or stand, so it would make sense to run it directly from its own motor. Of course that mounting method would make the jointer headrest unnecessary, so I'm not discounting this individual's ingenuity. As someone else mentioned, we don't know the motor RPMs, so with the right pulley setup it might already be in the best range. Isn't 6000-7000 recommended for this size jointer?

csxeng
Gold Member

Post by csxeng »

badtheba wrote:
csxeng wrote:
rpd wrote:
Dave V.
I wonder if Magna originally planned the 4E to be able to be run standalone. I haven't seen that in old marketing materials yet, but maybe someone else knows. It has bosses in the casting to be able to bolt it to a table or stand, so it would make sense to run it directly from its own motor. Of course that mounting method would make the jointer headrest unnecessary, so I'm not discounting this individual's ingenuity. As someone else mentioned, we don't know the motor RPMs, so with the right pulley setup it might already be in the best range. Isn't 6000-7000 recommended for this size jointer?

In the owners manual it does have plans for a bench to have it as a stand-alone machine. I believe it also says something about what motor and pulley to use.