Simple poll for PowerPro owners

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Simple poll for PowerPro owners

Post by reible »

For owners how do you feel about owning a Powerpro with just two options, are you either glad you have it or sorry you have it.

Ed

Edited to add option to just see the poll results ends up with the data being lost as I sort of expected.

So these are the final results:
ScreenHunter 115.jpg
ScreenHunter 115.jpg (32.18 KiB) Viewed 60236 times
Thanks to those that submitted their answers.

Ed
Last edited by reible on Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Simple poll for PowerPro owners

Post by garys »

I don't own one, but I think it would be much like a friend I had back in the 1970s. He bought a Jaguar. His opinion of the Jaguar was that he never owned another car that he loved so much and also hated so much. When it ran, he said it was the most fun car he had ever owned or driven. When it didn't run, he hated it like nothing else he had ever owned.
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

So far 100% in favor of ownership (including me).
It has its problems, is probably less long term reliable as a Mark or 10Ex, but every time I use mine (which is almost every project), I am glad I have it. I like it's features, power, and control.

Ask me again in 5 years LOL
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

rjent wrote:So far 100% in favor of ownership (including me).
It has its problems, is probably less long term reliable as a Mark or 10Ex, but every time I use mine (which is almost every project), I am glad I have it. I like it's features, power, and control.

Ask me again in 5 years LOL
I don't have to wait 5 years. My PP failed after 5 years of use. I have the repaired controller reinstalled in my backup headstock, but haven't reinstalled it on my 520 yet. I was very happy while it was working, but very unhappy when it wasn't :( But the poll didn't have that option.
Fred Sheldon
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

Like mine. When it was delivered the driver dropped it. I refused delivery and sent it back. When I got it back no problem since.it has been about 8+ years.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Shopsmith needs to add the ability to view these poll results without first voting. I don't own one and don't want to skew the results by voting. Maybe Ed can add a third poll option, "I'm just here for the nachos," so those of us without a PP can view the results.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Just curious if anyone knows whether you can order a replacement control module or the electronics module for the PowerPro? I did a quick search on Shopsmith's website but could not find any part numbers for them. If someone wanted to buy backup modules (just in case) to have around, is it possible?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

No PowerPro here either, but there was a small “View Results” button to click in the top poll post. (I’m using the ProSilver skin.) The button disappeared after I clicked it, but the results just now were 18-0 that like their PowerPros.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:No PowerPro here either, but there was a small “View Results” button to click in the top poll post. (I’m using the ProSilver skin.) The button disappeared after I clicked it, but the results just now were 18-0 that like their PowerPros.
Thanks, Dennis. That button doesn't do anything in "Shopsmith" skin. When I switched to ProSilver it worked as advertised.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

I already voted but forgot to leave a comment. Hope this helps. I had an issue with my PP 3 months after receiving it. It went dead. Took longer than it should have for warranty repair which was just a part replacement. I still voted that I am happy with it as I am. The benefits out way the failure. I also ended up re-using the spare parts to build up a goldie headstock as a spare. I did the DIY pp.